F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My bike is slowly dying...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bike is slowly dying...

Hi everyone,

I have a situation.
I bought a 2001 cbr 600 f4i around 11,000k miles.
Its battery that came with died in a month and I had to replace it with a new one.
After then, (on the new battery) one day my bike had just died completely when I came back frommy class. When I put the key in, it didn't even tried to start. It just died completely. and I was really surprised. After then, I took the battery to the Honda Dealer and have them check on the battery, and they said it was good. So I took it back, and kept it for awhile. Ever since then, my bike had died twice after and I had to call for help.*(interesting thing here,one time it died by me when I was chocking too many times because It won't start, therefore I wouldn't say it died because battery had no juice) Then, I thought there was something wrong with possibly the rectifier and took the whole bike and let the Honda Service guys take care of it. AND they said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it!!!!
I wasted so much money cause of the labor and my friends telling me that the service guys aren't that good!

Ever Since then, I changed my battery one more time (thanks to the warranty), so now its the third battery,and also bought a battery tender!!! I charged up yesterday it kept a floating charge. However, I feel like thebike is constantly losing some amount of electricity everytime I ride.
What could be the problem>? and how should check to see what seems to be the problem???

One more thing, I tried the lighting in front of the wall, and YES, the light does fluctuate. Everytime I pull the throttle, the light gets brighter. (I hope thats a good thing?)

PLEASE PEOPLE HELP ME!!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Default RE: My bike is slowly dying...

Honestly it might be the wiring or spark plugs this definetally sounds electronic cause if the bike has been running before and good then its def not flooding itself and the injectors are flowing properly...hey when your light was getting brighter as you added throttle it sounds like electronic should probably check that out run through all your wiring and make sure its all clean and good if not thats why theres no ignition when u crank it cause the spark plugsaren't getting the juice they need from the battery. Cause when you throttle it as the light gets brighter then im almost 90% thats bad wiring. If thats not it then i have no clue. Cause if you can't hear the fuel pump prime up then the bike isn't recognizing the key in the ignition and thats where your wiring comes in lemme know if you find something out more.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wiring/battery contacts/regulator/rectifier/alternator.
seems like an electrical problem. get a multimeter, measure the voltage across the battery when it's off, when it's idling and when you rev it. post those up. Make sure no wires have bad kinks/stripped insulation in them. if an exposed wire touches somewhere it'll drain out your battery and load your alternator. batteries don't go bad so soon by themselves.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 PM

you could have some wierd problem like part of the alternator windings shorted, giving lower output voltage and requiring rev to get the voltage up. that'd be rare though, and not something dealerships would be able to debug necessarily

Old 09-18-2008, 06:13 PM

one quick thing guys!! there was a incident that I had forgotten to mention...

One time when I got back from my class, I started my bike, but it took more than once to start it up and it felt like it didn't have much juice! So, I was scared. The WEIRD THING HERE IS!!! Idecided to letthe bike running for about 5 minuit before I get going, and like after a minuit, my bike slowly turned OFF! (like as if it was losing power) What do u guys think? Even theHonda Mechanics don;t know whats going on.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 PM

Alternator, get it checked at a local parts store (take it off the bike and drive to a local store)

Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 PM

How long are your riding it for? What speed and RPM are you maintaining?The charging system doesnt evenput out full power till 5000rpm.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 AM

damn sounds almost like my same problem, My bike dies randomly but only when its on idle. Got a new battery and the same day it did it again. Guys at the service dept didnt know what to say and kept charging Me money to look at it! If you find anything out man let us know!
________
Terpsichore

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Timmy_Jones

Alternator, get it checked at a local parts store (take it off the bike and drive to a local store)
+1, or just get a multimeter and check battery voltage when bike's idling and revving, just to make sure where the problem is.