F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Motorcycle won't start while in gear with clutch squeezed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, not it. I just got a brand new clutch switch and I still cannot start the bike while in gear, clutch squeezed and the side stand is up.

I don't know what to do now.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Okay, good news, bad news, and ugly news.

Bad news first: I wasted $20.00 on the clutch switch because mine was not bad. I don't even know how these things can go bad, since it is only two pieces of metal, a spring and a little plastic piece connected to the spring that sticks out the back to disengage the connection/reengage connection when the clutch lever is squeezed.

So, the good news was, my problem was that the clutch switch was just not seated correctly (it was not deep enough) and although it was seated enough to allow me to install the clutch lever, it had to be deeper so when I squeeze the clutch lever, it would allow for the little spring end (center round rod) to push fully out. I figured this out by doing the wire test to bridge to connection and it worked. I broke the little rod end off of the new clutch switch when I tried to band it down the handlebar bracket. Luckily, I had the old one and took it apart for the rod and used it on the new one. I only used the new one after I broke it because I just spend that hard earned cabbage on it and didn't want to waste it.

If you've seen "Days of Thunder" and remember the scene when Cole first returned to the track after not racing for a while, and Robert Duvall asked, "Cole, what's wrong?" Because he didn't feel right driving, Cole (Tom) replied, "something is just not right, it feels all wrong." (or something like that) Well, that is how I felt today and that is the ugly part. It just don't feel right being back on the bike. I know that it is psychological and I have to just get over it. I took the bike out for a couple laps around the block because I just needed to feel being on the bike again from going down and it is just going to take a little more getting used to. I am riding too precautious and I rode slow to try and see how I went down. I just have to get over it and move on.

It's tough though if you have ever been in my shoes.

Well, thanks for all of the help and replies that I got. I am only waiting for my decals to arrive to be 100% finished with the bike. I ordered them from www.xtreemedecals.com and they are shipping from Malta. I've read that they make good quality decals, but if I knew that they weren't in the United States, I would have just ordered them from somewhere else. They may take up to 3 weeks and it has been two weeks already. They are shipping from Malta.

Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get over it and move on... learn from it and remember the lesson. Take some time off, though, if it doesn't feel right. I take the same approach when I fly- if I'm not in it that day, I don't bother rolling it out of the hanger because **** can happen way too quickly up there (like it can on a bike), and there's no room for error.

Thanks for making this thread; mine only starts in neutral, and has done so since I bought it, so I figured it was just the way it was supposed to be.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Luck Runs Out...
Don't get over it and move on... learn from it and remember the lesson.
Bingo. you are a more experienced and subsequently faster rider because of it. you may not realize either of those things right now, but you are. Most of us have been down, we know what its like. just think of it this way, now that you know a little more about what you cant do, you also know more about what you CAN do.

and good job using pieces of multiple systems to make one functional system. Dont be scared of your machine! She does what you tell her!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the advise and recommendations everyone. I am contemplating on taking the MSF again, but don't know.

I'm just going to take my time next time I ride to get re-used to riding again.

I hope this thread can help someone if they have a similar problem.

Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 PM

dont take the msf again, just practice yourself in a parking lot. buy some books on riding by keith code, pridmore, and a few names i cant remember.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 PM

If you take the MSF course again, take the advanced course... Also, you might want to think about a track school as well, if they're in your area.

Good job on sticking with it, but if you feel you need to take a break, don't be pressured by a discussion board to go ride. I took a six year break after I waved a friend forward to take the lead and then watched a cage kill him about a minute later. We all eventually get back on; some just take longer.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 AM

my f4i has this problem also...... i have my clutch cable backed out almost to the limit; wonder if this has something to do with it?, i have a new one, just havent put it on yet....

Old 07-10-2017, 04:55 AM
Default I'm having the same trouble

Originally Posted by supersnake83
Well, not it. I just got a brand new clutch switch and I still cannot start the bike while in gear, clutch squeezed and the side stand is up.

I don't know what to do now.
I'm having the same trouble with my cbr125r but I didn't put it down I've check the cluch switch and changed it and check the out one out and caged it back nothing and it runs and drives every gear fine just won't start if I left it in gear and don't put it in neutral ! Starts every time in neutral don't make a sound in first gear when I pull in the clutch and have the kick stand up and push start nothing don't know what else to do I am reading what your wrote I push it in as far as it goes still nothing just haven't tried putting the two end together to see if it's something else I've checked all the fuses as well

Old 05-02-2022, 07:22 PM
Default Any videos on the fixed solution

Any videos or how you fixed the problem ?

Quick Reply: Motorcycle won't start while in gear with clutch squeezed