F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

miles per tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a big thing for gas mileage is the person on the bike. A smaller person is going to create a smaller drag efficiency due to weight and height making it a less drag vs somebody that is 6'6 at 250lbs. I always noticed when I ride my bike I get better gas mileage then somebody with a similar bike or smaller bike. Guessing due to the person's weight and how they position themselves.

Want better gas mileage?
-Shift in the next gear as soon as possible yes try keeping it under 5-6k between shifts.
-Tire pressure. The higher the better for gas mileage. It will affect performance this is true but were talking about gas mileage here.

-Person's weight and body position. If you push yourself under windscreen that will create less drag. Also stop eating Wendy's(yummy).

-Remember to fill it up the same each time same position. Since your filling up may very each time this will give you wacky numbers each time.

-Cruise control would help. I heard if you take a o-ring and slide it on the throttle grip it will hold it at a steady position for a period of time. Safe I have no clue but just a thought. With your hands twitching on the throttle cause it to increase and decrease pulse width on the fuel injection causing worse fuel economy.

-Make sure your engine is in full tune up.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm i cant seem to get more then 120miles (190kms) out of mine.. before the light comes on..
i had it put on a dyne last week.. the guys said that its running very very rich... ill post up a pic of it..
im using the higher RON fuel here in australia, as i seem to get more out of it..
i have recently replaced the cctl, its got a pipercross air filter fitted, and a slip on remus can, everything else is bone stock!

also this is the australian model so it was not fitted from factory with a O2 sensor..

very very confusing..

Old 08-13-2010, 09:59 AM

heres the dyno sheet...
with the mods that i have it should be lean not rich

Cheers...

Old 08-13-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by rd91si
The manual recommends 91 or better, they have 12 to 1 compression.

Have seen dyno test you don't gain any horsepower but can have

detonation on cheap gas.
My manual says 87.

After putting 3k miles on the Bike and having tried 91, 89 and 87 that my bike runs smother/better on 87. I would gladly pay the extra if I felt it helped.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:04 AM

I am pretty sure I get the worse mileage here! I am getting about 108 Till the light comes on. I am trying my first tank of premium but I can already tell she doesn't like it. My mods are power commander. slip on, bmc air filter, manual cct and a 43 tooth sprocket up front. Unknown in the back.

Last edited by gump; 08-14-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:22 PM

i get about 140 til light comes up. got 130 on one tank of super once, so no more of that.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:18 PM

I got about 120 my light wasnt on yet but it was pretty close and it had 93 in it. Mods are Scorpion slip on K&N and power commander. I think its running way rich but im no expert.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:39 PM

Im getting about 160 or so before I get the light. The bike only has a Two Brothers slip on as far as performance parts go. Im still pretty new to the bike scene so im sure me riding fairly conservatively helps. I think it averaged out to about 45 MPG las time I filled up.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 PM

I filled mine up for the first time yesterday. My bars lit up at 155.5. Both our cars use. My last bike would not accept anything but 87. So, I gave not a thought which octane to put in: 87.

I'm going to check the owner's manual to see what they reccommend...

...and I'm back. Thanks for waiting. The manual says 86 octane or better. So it seems as though you're all right.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, 87 is recommended. The manuals that say 91 are referring to RON, not AKI. We use a different method here in the USA. The RON (research octane number) 91 relates to about an 86/87 AKI (anti-knock index) here in the states. Just FYI.
And yeah, 99.9% of the time you'll gain nothing from running premium.
I've seen the RON number used in other bike manuals, too, and people swear it's calling for premium when it's not.

On the mileage thing, krux is right about the differences in riding style and rider height/weight. On my 1000F, I can get anywhere from 32-48mpg just depending how I ride. That's a wild difference. I average around 36 during everyday riding, but my buddy on the same bike got around 40. He was 5'7 140lbs and I'm 6'2" 225lbs.
Plus, many people don't even realize when the previous owner has changed gear ratios, which can also make a difference when you're running 500rpms higher all the time. Then you all have the power commander thing.... another factor.
I don't have that, but when I first changed my air filter (that was so plugged it looked like a tribble from star trek..lol) I gained like 2mpg instantly. (carbed)

Quick Reply: miles per tank