F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

maintenance time

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by angry_mosquito
I'm kind of surprised iv only gotten 3 people to talk after 228 views. Specially on an opinion based thing. Just asking what you all use or like.
Don't compare views vs response. Most of the views are done by "guests" that can't respond. Some views are likely by staff, checking in on your thread.

You've received sound advise so far.
Do you still need feedback that the price at the dealer will always be higher than doing it yourself?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't know every view was counted unless your a member. Guess that makes sense. So I had a problem with the shinko's not coming in and there was no eta either so the dealer I was getting those from was cool and allowed me to switch for Michelin power pilots. Glad that was an easy fix and didn't have to wait for refund and stuff. As for doing it myself I would have but I have no tools. Everything in storage was stolen that was worth a quick buck. Dang meth heads around here. So I would have too buy all the tools again and I just didn't feel like it's right now.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Also remember your asking pretty general questions that are asked alot of times over here, so people get tired of answering.
As for tires I've run pilot sports, pilot powers, power 2ct's, power pures, and now Dunlop Q3's on the street. I like the pures best. I'll probably try the pilot 3's next time my front tire wears out, I'm pretty much done being mad at michelin now.
The quote for the work sounds reasonable. Your getting alot of stuff and the valve adjustment takes a good bit of time.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:43 AM

I guess those questions probably do get asked a lot. I just love talking about stuff. Idk if I could get tired of it. Been talking about bikes before I even had one. As for the tires it sounds like I made a good choice in brand at least from what I'm reading and being told in person. So I dropped my tires off at the shop and asked about the work being done. Ended up paying $1800.63 for everything. They said it's about $1100 for the full service. That's the valves, spark plugs, fluid flush and fixing the coolant leak (which turned out to be just a hose thank god!!) Checking my cam chain and tightening my manual tensioner. Pretty much all the basics needed. Then my chain and sprocket being ordered and put on was like 300 or so. Tires to be mounted and balanced was 135. Ya little spendy in my opinion on that part. There was one more thing im forgetting about. I'll get the itemized list next Wednesday and post it for what all was really done. Im just really glad that leak wasn't something serious. Had me worried.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:26 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am in the wrong business.....

Glad its all sorted and you are happy with it!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You paid way too much for the tire install. Its $15-20 per tire around here. At this point though its all said and done and you can enjoy the bike when it comes back. Kick back and relax now.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:49 PM

Ok... im really not happy right now. So they got some of the work done and fired it up to warm it up. After running for about 30 min they noticed my fan was not coming on and the coolant leak was back. They found out my temp sensor is not working. From what they say it allowed my bike to heat up warping my water pump! I guess I have a couple more hoses with my fuel cracking allowing fumes out as well. I was told to fix the water pump, thermostats, and extra hoses that it's going to be 700 more... I don't have the extra 700!!! Has anyone dealt with this issue and is it something easy I could tackle (mind you I have limited tools from being stolen) or should I found a way to come up with the difference and allow them to fix it all brand new?

Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

You know, I would say the tools are worth the cost at this point, if you were in SoCal I would gladly help you out and let you use my tools, parts are cheap its the labor that hurts $$$$. Replacing the water pump is straight forward and all you really need is a set of sockets and a torque wrench.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:10 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

CBRF has a great group of actual mechanics that do this stuff professionally, along with weekend warriors who can tackle huge tasks.

There's no way I'd leave it with the shop. Sounds to me like its time to get to know your motorcycle. The water pump is held on by two 10mm head sized bolts. So is the thermostat housing.

These are parts I would not hesitate to pick up from eBay minus the actual thermostat (ronayers or bikebandit for it).

Take pictures of everything, and we can point you in the right direction. I'd want to see the water pump leaking from a warp...

Old 02-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto, 700 for that is beyond reason. of course some of it comes from parts but still! And since you've had tools we can assume you know which way to hold a spanner, those tasks are no rocket science and takes more courage than actual skill to try for the first time. I'm not familiar with the actual model so nog sure what the pump is like but feels weird that it would have actually warped cause it would have gotten so hot it would have fried all seals and boiled the coolant, the only scenario I can think of that could actually cause that is thag the bike would have been let to run for long enough to boil the colling system dry.

The temp sensor itself is usually very very difficult to change. You unscrew the old one and screw on the new, then there's the excessive electrical work of plugging one, or in some cases god forbid, two wires.

Quick Reply: maintenance time