CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   maintenance time (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/maintenance-time-153214/)

angry_mosquito 02-08-2015 12:02 PM

maintenance time

Ok guys I'm looking at getting a bunch of stuff done and would like some 2¢ on brands to use. I have no idea where to start on what to use. Majority of this will be done at a shop since I don't have the tools to do it myself unfortunately and figure it would be cheaper to have someone do it since I would be starting from 0 on my tool set after it all being stolen and moving.
-first on the list was tires. Already got those ordered but would like to see what you all think. I got the shinko verge 2x set.
-chain and sprocket. I have no idea what to do with this. I do know I want to stay stock as I don't plan on stunting anytime soon. I just have no idea what brand would be beast. I want durable.
-getting a valve adjustment done as I have no idea when it was done last and I have about 27k miles on it.
-I'm thinking about getting a new clutch as well. How many miles should that be replaced at typically and what would be the difference between a stock or race clutch? Not going to lie I do like to rev my bike sometimes and can get on it too.
-hoses... the only brand I could find was able to find was samcro for some reason. Maybe I'm not searching the right thing? They are starting to look dried out on the ends. Time for new hoses all around. The only hoses that look decent still are my break lines. Where do you all go for hose kits?

boredandstroked 02-08-2015 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by angry_mosquito (Post 1285879)
-first on the list was tires. Already got those ordered but would like to see what you all think. I got the shinko verge 2x set.

I think that was a bad call but that's me. I hate shinko's. I want the best tire I can buy so if the need arises my tires can get me out of a bad situation.

-chain and sprocket. I have no idea what to do with this. I do know I want to stay stock as I don't plan on stunting anytime soon. I just have no idea what brand would be beast. I want durable.
My RK GXW 520's last as long as the stock 525 lasted me. Steel sprocket for sure, I go threw 2 chains before needing to change my sprockets.

-I'm thinking about getting a new clutch as well. How many miles should that be replaced at typically and what would be the difference between a stock or race clutch?
Unless yours doesn't work, leave it alone. The difference between stock and aftermarket is stock is awesome and lasts like a madman and aftermarket doesn't. You'll never slip the stock clutch from overpowering it. Ever.

hoses... the only brand I could find was able to find was samcro for some reason. Maybe I'm not searching the right thing? They are starting to look dried out on the ends. Time for new hoses all around. The only hoses that look decent still are my break lines. Where do you all go for hose kits?
They don't make kits. They sell hoses each. I go to motosport.com and partzilla to order my oem stuff. Hell, I like oem for pretty much everything on my bike besides tires, suspension and brake lines.

angry_mosquito 02-08-2015 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 1285883)
I think that was a bad call but that's me. I hate shinko's. I want the best tire I can buy so if the need arises my tires can get me out of a bad situation.

what brand and type do you ride with? i only went with the shinko because i have heard of them before and they seemed to have good reviews for both dry and wet weather, since this is my main transportation majority of the year.

My RK GXW 520's last as long as the stock 525 lasted me. Steel sprocket for sure, I go threw 2 chains before needing to change my sprockets.

ok Ill check into those. i had no idea where to start for that. mines in ROUGH shape lol. got the bike used and have no idea what the PO did with it. all i know is the CCT has been changed for with manual lol.

Unless yours doesn't work, leave it alone. The difference between stock and aftermarket is stock is awesome and lasts like a madman and aftermarket doesn't. You'll never slip the stock clutch from overpowering it. Ever.

well im thinking about changing it out because mines acting up. it will go into gear but it feels like there is a hitch when shifting. like it will go into gear but i can force the lever up a little more and it will then fully click into gear. idk how to really explain it more than that but i know its not smooth by any means.

They don't make kits. They sell hoses each. I go to motosport.com and partzilla to order my oem stuff. Hell, I like oem for pretty much everything on my bike besides tires, suspension and brake lines.

no wonder i couldnt find anything. wonder why they dont sell full kits. guess ill be adding each hose then. cuz they all need to go lol. which site do you prefer to use? both pretty equal or do you like one over the other a little more?

Mattson 02-08-2015 04:25 PM

well im thinking about changing it out because mines acting up. it will go into gear but it feels like there is a hitch when shifting. like it will go into gear but i can force the lever up a little more and it will then fully click into gear. idk how to really explain it more than that but i know its not smooth by any means.
If the clutch doesn`t slip I`m leaning more towards wrong or bad quality oil on this one. Does the clutch fully disengage/ do you have to hold the bike in place with your brakes with gear selected? Might be the clutch wire is too loose. How much free play on your lever?

angry_mosquito 02-08-2015 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mattson (Post 1285893)
If the clutch doesn`t slip I`m leaning more towards wrong or bad quality oil on this one. Does the clutch fully disengage/ do you have to hold the bike in place with your brakes with gear selected? Might be the clutch wire is too loose. How much free play on your lever?

there is no free play and it will fully disengage no problem. i did an oil change myself and went with rotella as i read many people use it and like it. the only issue is when i shift up.

angry_mosquito 02-12-2015 01:00 PM

Ok. So I dropped the bike off at the shop. Just had to much to tackle for my liking. Getting new hoses as needed. Tires. Spark plugs. Valve adjustment. Chain and sprocket. All fluid flushed. Oil leak and coolant leak fixed. (Hopefully it's just a hose and nothing major like my heads because they haven't figured that out yet.) But they quotes me 1700 to have it serviced and put into good running order with those being the main stuff off the top of my head. You all think that is fair or am I getting screwed?

CJardine 02-12-2015 04:12 PM

Make sure that they use a Honda OEM oil filter (they are considered the best and I ran them until I switched to a reusable one). The Honda, Rotella T6, and Mobile one oils are all good oils and will get the job done, just make sure to use the correct weight based off of use and temp.

Honda's clutch packs are still the best on the market, even for even track days and light racing.

I use Dunlop Q2's but have heard good things about bridgestone, perelli, and michelin.

I like AFAM sprockets but any of the major brands are good, use steel if you want longevity or use aluminum if you want weight savings.

Don't skimp on the chain either go DID or RK. This is like your brakes, not something that you want skimp out on because if it fails, it can lead to a life or death situation. Between a 520 or 525 chain, honestly, it really doesn't make a difference, the 520 is slightly lighter and smaller but the savings in rotational mass are negligible at best. Make sure its an o-ring or x-ring chain.

For hoses, they do make samco kits, they are just impossible to find and do the job just as well as the OEM for more $$$.

I like OEM because Honda has done a great job on its bikes, and the OEM parts are what the Aftermarket strives to achieve. I use OEM for all things related to engine, cooling, and chassis(even the bolts). I use Water Wetter for coolant and a different RR/Battery Combo; other than that its just personal preference. Hope it helped.

angry_mosquito 02-12-2015 05:26 PM

That does help thank you. I have them going oem on almost everything but the chain and sprocket. Don't know what oil they use but I used the rotella t6 on my last change and it seemed to do the job for me. So I'll change it back to that once it's due for another. Does the price they quoted me for the work seem fair?

CJardine 02-12-2015 06:17 PM

I honestly could tell you because the only time my bike has been in the shop was to get it dyno'ed and rejetted.

angry_mosquito 02-16-2015 10:04 AM

I'm kind of surprised iv only gotten 3 people to talk after 228 views. Specially on an opinion based thing. Just asking what you all use or like.