F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lowering Link

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowering Link

I have had a lowering link for my bike since I bought it but have had no urge to put it on. I'm now putting my bike back together and was going to put the stock link on but then remembered the lowering one. Currently I have to be slightly on my tip toes when I'm sitting in the bike, and it would be nice to be able to sit flat footed but I do not want to mess up the geometry of the bike. The way I see it is the bike came that height for a reason. I just wanted to get peoples opinion on it before I chose one or the other. The lower link is not much shorter maybe an inch or so than the other one

Old 05-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i've heard there is a trade off. you can't corner as fast or something.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:52 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tip toe at a standstill is dangerous - the slightest slip under either foot and you could end up going down(nearly had it with a GS1200 on some sand/tar) or with a sloping road shoulder.
Your control is limited.
If you have less than at least the ***** of your feet on the road - fit the link. I have a buddy who is 5'5" and he has never had any handling problems I'm aware of.
You may like to stiffen up your preload to reduce suspension travel, esp if carrying a pillion a lot.
FWIW

Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 PM

I'm not too concerned about control when at a standstill. Ive got that under control it's just more of a want not a need, but only if I am convinced that it won't screw up the ride of my bike too much.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:52 PM

I think it depends on how much the lowering link was actually lowering the back of the bike. You could always back off the preload and that should lower it down some when you are on it. If you are worried about the geometry you can always drop the front too by raising the forks or messing w/ the preload to match the rear.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:35 PM

I'm not trying to discred it anyone, but has anyone installed a lowering link and noticed any sort of difference, and if so what? I'm getting ready to go to the track and I don't want to put myself at any extra risk due to my setup. I'm currently leaning towards making the swap unless anyone has any large objections

Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 AM

i havent, but after a few google searches it seems pretty common, you want to...
lower the front and the rear, or the bike will handle differently. turn in slower, etc.
be cautious about scraping your pegs and everything else with less lean, so if you go to the track
make sure you have some raised rearsets.
otherwise it just seems the bike is just lower. i would imagine it may be a good idea to find how far
the suspension travels so you don't bottom out when braking depending on how much
you want to lower it