F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lowering Front

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Front

hey guys
i recently lowered the back of my bike a little bit
i wasnt planning on lowering the front because i didnt want to spend any money but i did a search and found an old topic for lowering a 954 and someone said that it has something to do with just adjusting the triple clamp.

does anyone know how to do this, or know of a write up?
or mind giving me a rough step by step of the process?
thanks in advance guys

Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM

So you got the lowering link I sold you installed ok? I think you take a tie down strap and compress the front end down, loosen the bolts on the forks and when its compressed to where u want it, tighten them back up. I am pretty sure thats how u do it.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

From what I've read, you'll need to suspend the front end off the ground, either by hanging it from a rafter/engine lift, or use a front triple tree/ front yoke stand. Removing the clip-ons would probably facilitate this procedure. Remove the front wheel, and loosen the fork clamping bolts. Do one side at the time. Slide the fork up to the desired height (or however low you want to go). You can use a measuring caliper to measure the distance from the top of the fork, to the top of the top-bridge. Snug the bolts up, and move to the other side. The front axle bolt should slide freely between the two forks when equal height is achieved. Torque the fork clamps as per manual, reinstall the clip -ons & front wheel. And that ought to do it.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 PM

yea Stephens i got it installed ok.
it was a little tricky, but the hardest part was getting the wrenches back there
and it took me a min to find out that i had to loosen the kickstand bolts to get it out

the only prob is i didnt have the ends equally spaced in relation to the center hexbolt
so when i put it in, it was too low, and i raised it back up as high as it would go but it got as far as it could go on one side, but the other side still has some room to move it up. so i may have to loosen it back up and twist the top side until it gets all the way down like the bottom side is.

either way i can take care of that, but yea i believe it makes the bike look less "sporty" because the tail is lower in proportion to the headlight (obviously). i didnt want to mess with lowering the front because i figured that would require more money and equipment but when i read that post that its just an adjustment i figured id research it a little.
thanks for the help guy (stephens and incognito)

Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 AM

Hey be sure you torque the bolts back on for the kickstand. I didn't torque mine and it rattled itself loose and then I had to replace it cuz it rattled so bad that it came out of the groove and the threads got flattened out. It was like 9 bucks for a new bolt.