F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lowering a bike (affect handling?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering a bike (affect handling?)

Just got me a 99 f4... and in addition to shaving my seat (race pad seat cuz i have a solo tail)... i wanted to lower it maybe 1.5-2 inches just for confidence cuz i'm a short guy.

I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be "learning wrong" because the bike is lowered. I'd imagine the difference wouldn't be any different from hopping on one bike and then another. But I just wanted to make sure.

I'm about 5'3" and about 130 pounds... and suggestions?

I have no problem keeping it upright, its just that i wish i could back up the bike without having to get off of it.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Lowering a bike (affect handling?)

Lowering the rear over an inch will adversly affect handling. I would imagine that the turn in would really suck. This is one of the times I would really recommend going to a shop that sets up race bikes -- maybe they could lower the front a little also and the general handling would be about the same.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:59 PM

Definately have the front and rear lowered at the same time with that much of a drop. I purchased my '04 from a guy that had it lowered 2" front and back with the dealer. (I'm a girl...that equals short legs, you know )

But I'd have to say it effects it greatly. Probably this winter when the track season is over I'm going to have it raised up another inch at least. I'm happy I can flat-foot, but getting the bike to lean over in the first place, there's a little hesitation. Plus, I bottomed out a few months back in a right-hander that had a little bump on it. Got a little scratch on the headers, but I think it hurt me more than the bike.

I also have a couple nasty 1/4" chicken strips left that I can't seem to rub off. It is a really wide tire, but I think if I had that bit of height back, I wouldn't feel like I'm about to drag a peg. Which is comes close being lowered. I've got a couple track days next month and if I can't wipe those off then, it's definately getting raised.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:46 PM

yea i'm pretty jealous of everyone who can back up their bike while sitting.... haha

would you say i can still handle real well with a 1 inch drop?

Old 07-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ummagawd

yea i'm pretty jealous of everyone who can back up their bike while sitting.... haha

would you say i can still handle real well with a 1 inch drop?
Only if you compensate for the front also.

Hey djpk -- before ya hit the track adjust the preload front and back stiffer. That will help with the bottoming out but with 2" down some of it is unavoidable.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:32 AM

ORIGINAL: djpk

Definately have the front and rear lowered at the same time with that much of a drop. I purchased my '04 from a guy that had it lowered 2" front and back with the dealer. (I'm a girl...that equals short legs, you know )

But I'd have to say it effects it greatly. Probably this winter when the track season is over I'm going to have it raised up another inch at least. I'm happy I can flat-foot, but getting the bike to lean over in the first place, there's a little hesitation. Plus, I bottomed out a few months back in a right-hander that had a little bump on it. Got a little scratch on the headers, but I think it hurt me more than the bike.

I also have a couple nasty 1/4" chicken strips left that I can't seem to rub off. It is a really wide tire, but I think if I had that bit of height back, I wouldn't feel like I'm about to drag a peg. Which is comes close being lowered. I've got a couple track days next month and if I can't wipe those off then, it's definately getting raised.
Hey just out of curiosity how tall are you dj?

Old 07-03-2005, 04:12 AM

I just posted this in another thread but it applies here as well: http://sportrider.com/tech/146_0210_lower/