F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Lost Keys no spare

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for those locksmith prices you could probably find a used ignition stuff on ebay for cheaper. I got my ignition and gas cap for like $80. So get a price from the dealer and from a few locksmiths and then look around on ebay or craigslist first and see if you can find a used one for cheaper. If not just get a new key made then. Im sure the dealer will be the most expensive though.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by 9-5=4rr
i think you can recode a new key to the HISS system ... You shouldn't have to buy an entirely new system ...
Could be a year thing. On my 2001 the Manual clearly says if you lose 1 of the 2 keys get ur butt to a Stealership asap and they will use the plate number to make the keys, up to 4 at a time. If not it will require a new ignition unit. Im not arguing, just repeating what came in my manual.

How does one know if they have the HISS?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 AM

Does the lock looks like this?

If not, you're good. You just have to get a key made from any good locksmith. No new ECU and recoding necessary

Attached Thumbnails Lost Keys no spare-honda-cbr600-6.jpg  
Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Slick 6
Does the lock looks like this?

If not, you're good. You just have to get a key made from any good locksmith. No new ECU and recoding necessary
Awesome! I was so worried about losing a Key. I actually was planning on mounting a key on the headset someplace to get around the HISS. One less worry

Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key code is on your ignition block brake side. Turn your handlebars to the left and look at the block. If you have good eyes, you'll see a set of letters/numbers engraved. You'll barely be able to see the engraving, and they do it purposely so it's not easy to read.

Most ppl take the time to take the ignition out and get the codes. The best way to do it is to get a piece of scotch tape and put it over the codes. Get a pencil and draw over the tape and codes. Pull it off and you'll have your codes on the tape. You can then call in your order for a $2 key. It's what I had to do when losing mine. It also made me realize that I need to keep my bike locked up beyond an ignition lock lol.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 PM

iJapanesey bro is there a code for my bike i have a 1999 honda cbr900rr!!
Do you think i can do that!!!!
let me know plz!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Oh by the way i just look at my bike code has 17 number's is this right
or did i look at the wrong number??

Help!!!! lol

Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by MitchA
Could be a year thing. On my 2001 the Manual clearly says if you lose 1 of the 2 keys get ur butt to a Stealership asap and they will use the plate number to make the keys, up to 4 at a time. If not it will require a new ignition unit. Im not arguing, just repeating what came in my manual.

How does one know if they have the HISS?
My manual says the same thing for my 954 ... and as far as I know my 954 is not HISS equipped ... It should have a tab that sticks out over where you insert your key that says HISS if it's built into the bike ...

EDIT: ... did a quick search ... looks like all the US spec bikes are not equipped with HISS ...

Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 PM

Im having the same problem only i didnt loose my key, My mechanic thinks the security chip fell out of my key probably because i dropped them..sound right?? If any one knows whats the best/cheapest way to get my bike back to me please help i only had the bike for 2 weeks came with no spare!!

Old 05-13-2011, 02:20 AM

Had to just call a locksmith found a cool guy that only charged me 100 I just have to call him first If I need more work or find someone else

Quick Reply: Lost Keys no spare