F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Light Cracks in plastic

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Cracks in plastic

Please help...
I have some light cracks in my plastic on each sides of my seat and also at the top of my front piece by the top of my windscreen. These crack are not all the way through but the paint is cracked as well .. any ideas how to make this look new again?
Thanks

Old 07-12-2009, 11:00 PM
July 2008 ROTM

It's probably just the paint cracked on the sides near your seat. They're pretty common stress cracks. The upper I dunno, you'd have to post a picture or a better description, but it sounds like it could be a stress crack as well, otherwise a minor accident crack.

Both would have to be repaired with some minor body work and a fresh coat of paint.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

What you got there is a classic case of "crotch crack". If you don't take care of it right away, it'll get worse. Oddly enough, after I fixed the CC, I also developed stress cracks on the upper cowl. I went with fiberglass reinforcement on the backside, and you can barely see the hairline cracks afterwards. Here's a couple threads: Crotch Crack & Upper Cracks.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:52 PM

I have these so called "crotch cracks" as well.. I am going in for paint over the winter. Do you guys suggest repairing the fairing or trying to find another tail with out damage?

Old 07-13-2009, 02:11 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by yog182
I have these so called "crotch cracks" as well.. I am going in for paint over the winter. Do you guys suggest repairing the fairing or trying to find another tail with out damage?
That depends on how attached you are to OEM perfection. Paint matching can be difficult, as can finding a mint condition tail for a reasonable price.

Personally I think fixing these kinds of stress cracks is pointless (unless you want to repaint your motorcycle anyway). They're likely to happen again anyway. And if you're that worried about small cracks, heaven forbid your bike ever fall over. I don't know about others, but I bought my bike to ride it and have fun. It's gonna get some bruises here and there, such is life.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 AM

Personally I think fixing these kinds of stress cracks is pointless (unless you want to repaint your motorcycle anyway). They're likely to happen again anyway.
To a certain degree. Had I not taken care of mine, I'd have two big cracked holes where the rear fairing attaches to the subframe (behind the tank), and no way of holding it in place. It would look like total crap. Same with the upper. It would have ended up completely separating from the mirrors, which is its main support point, and would just be dangling from the windscreen bolts, which would eventually end up damaging them as well. All of the repairs I've made have been holding up very nicely, and feel solid.
But I definitely agree with not buying new plastics, or even repainting the old ones. Unless you have a show bike, it's not worth the trouble. If you address the problem from the back side, and do a good job, the painted exterior surface will remain essentially the same.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 AM

I was just wondering.. I am painting it this winter and didn't know if the cracks would come back after fixing them. And i totally agree getting the bike to ride.. I actually stunt my F4i so its bound to get some character marks down the road =).

Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Default Thanks

They are stress cracks, and yes i did buy my bike to have fun with as well, it just kinda sucks when that is one of the only things wrong with it is those cracks, and you guys are correct, it TOTALLY sounds like Crotch crack and the crack by the wind screen it from setting the front end down a little too hard after wheelie. I am going to take the advise of just leaving them, and if i was going to fix them i would start by reinforcing them from the back side, but it will probably happen again right after i get it fixed anyway.......
U guys are a ton of help...
Thanks again
J

Old 07-13-2009, 03:38 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Best advice I have: Inspect the fairings as best as possible to determine if the cracks are mainly the paint or in the plastic itself. If it's just the paint, it's only cosmetic and you're the only person who will care. If it's in the plastic itself, then you'll want to take some time to reinforce the cracks. If it's early and they're small you can use a repair kit to patch up the insides. If they're getting deep or near to splitting the plastic, then you'll want to repair it entirely, which is likely followed by repainting.

Incognito: Sounds like you had a pretty extreme case. My stress cracks are all paint-only. I have no worries at all about any of my bolt holes breaking open (at least at this point in time - who knows if it'll get worse).

Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 PM

My bad ~ looks like I had my terminology wrong. Stress cracks vs. full-on fractures

Quick Reply: Light Cracks in plastic