F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

License Plate Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Wiring Harness

Hi all. My bike doesn't have a license plate light on it. The previous owner cut the fender/license plate light off. I now need to install a license plate light in order to pass inspection. I was going to pick up one of the led lights that screw in with the wires coming out the back.

I know i can cut the harness off under the seat and splice the led light wires into the factory wires and it will work, but I didn't want to cut the harness off. Does anyone know where to get the wiring plug/wires that fits into the wiring harness under the seat? Can you order it somewhere or does anyone know if you can pick something up at a hardware store that will fit? I've seen some whole fenders/lights with the wiring i'm looking for on ebay for like $10-$15 + $10 for shipping. That's $20-$25 just for some wires and the plastic harness. A lil too much for me.

Thanks for any advise/suggestions. I can go take some pics and post if necessary.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Default RE: License Plate Wiring Harness

your honda dealer should be able to get the plugs

Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 PM

Just find the wire for the running light and splice that ONE wire. First go to www.customdynamics.comand order one or two of their light bolts if you don't have something better already. It doesn't get any simpler than using those little things. You can splice into the ground wire or you can ground to the frame. Not necessary to cut the harness.

Depending on what state you live in they won't ever know it hasn't been inspected. My Harley hasn't been inspected since I bought it new almost 3 years ago and the state doesn't keep records of bikes here.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I actually went to my local honda dealer earlier today and he said in order to get what I needed I would have to order the whole fender/license plate light as the harness didn't come seperate. He told me to go to a hardware store and look for something similar. I didn't think I would find anything but I went and looked anyway. No luck. I don't know if what he said was correct or not. It sounds like it could be correct knowing how they make stuff though. I just need the wire and male connector to fit into the harness. Something so easy and should only cost a few bucks is giving me a headache.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the info StrikeAnywhere. I was trying not to splice anything but if I dont have any results otherwise I may have to go that route.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pay the $30 bucks and forget about it. After all the time and effort you`ll spend splicing wires & what not you`ll end up wishing you had just spent the money for it. Heck, there`s a couple of guys downin 600RRpaying $143dollarsfor turn signals! Link

Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 AM

I guess your working with the wires on a stock bike with the factory undertail/fender? Pictures would help.