F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Killing some bad info.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killing some bad info.

I've seen plenty of threads on here where people say the 01-03 and 04-05 are tuned the same and others that say they are different...
I decided to do my own research and here are the results.

conflicting info #1
The newer F4I's (Banana seat style) have a different gear ratio...

2002 motorcycle gears.
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...e~CBR600F4.asp
2005 motorcycle gears
http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...+CBR600F4I.asp

As you can see from the link the gears for both bikes have the same amount of teeth which means they have the same gear ratios..

Conflicting info #2
Different years F4I have different engine internals and/or tuning

To many links to mention, but I checked different years parts and compared part #'s..
Here's what I came up with.
01-05 All years have the same lower end parts. I.E. crank, piston. Same bore/stroke, etc.

I'm up in the air about the heads.
When I search for a head for an 05 I get a part # for a complete head assembly for an 01-05 with one part #...
If do the same search for an 02 I get a completely different part # head for an 02 only complete head assembly...I also found different spark plugs #'s listed for the different years.
Also when doing a search for camshafts for both I found the 02 had a different intake cam than the 05. Same exhaust cams and same intake and exhaust valves, but different intake cams....Part # for the 2002 intake cam is 708316-001 and for the 05 it's 209843-001....

Finally,
I checked injectors, throttle bodys, and control module part #'s and found that the injectors are the same part #'s which means they are the same size. Both the 02 and 05 had two throttle body options with the same part # options, and the computer control modules both had two part #'s listed.. The part #'s available where the same for the 02 and the 05...

I'm kind of curious if we can find the lobe and duration of a stock 2002 cam and the lobe/duration of a 2005 stock intake cam....

anybody know?[sm=type.gif]

My guess is that the throttle body, control modules available is dependent on which intake cam you have....
It's also possible that bike bandit's part #'s are messed up.
They have the 02 head assembly @ just over $1000 and the 01-05 at just under $1000...Only difference I see is a part #. Obviously the cams are different when searching under cams, but they are both listed at the same price so I'm not sure why the price difference....
EDIT: I think they also had a different rectifier part #, but I'm to lazy to go back and look.....If anyone knows the lobe/duration of those two cams, that info would be great.

Hope this answers more questions than it generates.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:28 AM
Default RE: Killing some bad info.

thats because the 01-03 are faster

Old 06-13-2007, 03:40 AM
IDL

ORIGINAL: GMW33

thats because the 01-03 are faster
But only because the bananna seat ways 60 lbs

Old 06-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

someone correct me if im wrong but you can change the gear ratio on the internals of the transmission but by messing with the Sprockets (different size teeth) you are only affecting the Final drive ratio so couldnt that be why people say the 01-03/04-06 have different gear ratios ?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iraced a buddy who had an '05 F4i (stock)with my'02 (stock) and beat him by at least 4 bike lengths at approx. a quarter mile. I had been riding longer than himthough, but we raced fourtimes and everytime the same result. I got on his bike and it is muchsofter sprung andfelt a little weaker pulling trhrough the first three gears. Maybe it'sjust me but I think the '01-'03 are faster.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: HAVOC
someone correct me if im wrong but you can change the gear ratio on the internals of the transmission but by messing with the Sprockets (different size teeth) you are only affecting the Final drive ratio so couldnt that be why people say the 01-03/04-06 have different gear ratios ?
Changing the sprockets doesn't affect your individual gear ratios or your primary reduction, all that is in the transmission itself. All changing your sprockets does is change the ratio for your back tire spinning compared to your output shaft spinning. I'm pretty sure all years of the F4i have the same sprockets, 16 front 46 rear, right?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:42 PM

havoc you are correct regarding gearing.
matt you're totally wrong! bikes are the same but it's your paint job!

yell0w iz teh fast3r

Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 PM

What is the weight difference between the years?

Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 AM

Matt: I think 4 bike lengths has alot more to do with driver error, than with the differences between the two engines....I'll agree that the 01-03 PROBABLY has a more aggressive cam, This could be a good or bad thing..
To be fully certain of the differences in cam we would need to know lobe/duration of both intake cams...
My guess is that the 04-05 cam wasn't used to "detune" the motorcycle in preperation for the RR...You 01-03 guys DO NOT have the same cam as the RR. Nice try though.....
My GUESS is that they replaced the cam to allow for a different"touring" power band...Maybe not quite as much power in the top of the power band, but maybe a slighty milder cam with a much wider power band to allow more power across the rpm range???
Would need to see lobe/duration, or just as good would be torque/HP curves on a dyno for both to be certain..
EDIT: for you 01-03 guys who are jumping, like I said above the cam on the RR's is different than yours, they have other high performance parts as well and their bikes only have approximately 10 HP more than the 04-05 F4I's, so your F4I isn't more than 2-3 HP more than ours and probably has a much smaller power band...Until we see dynos don't go getting to excited.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:39 AM

who cares... quit pissing on peoples legs 01-03 people will defend theirs and 04-06 people will do the same. Its all about the rider anyway, so we dont need to have a pissing contest over who has a longer cam duration on the intake port. chill out

Quick Reply: Killing some bad info.