F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Just getting started

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just getting started

Hey all! I just bought my first bike its a blue/black 2006 f4i with only 2100 miles. It starts and runs but hasnt been used in 2 years so its in need of a tune up. Can we seafoam these bikes with having the wet clutch? Im hoping the hesitation is just old fuel. I'm just going to follow the route of cars and check plugs, injector cleaner, oil.filter, air filter etc

I'm ready to get some road experience on it but still need to take the class soon since I read so many posts on here about how important it is. Its been raining every day so I havent even been out of the garage on it!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Any suggestions on things to do prior to taking it out?
I'm also looking to get rid of all that plastic hanging from the tail whats everyone doing about that? It needs to disapeer and looking for different turn signals too

Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First ride after sitting for two years? Check Tires first, make sure they are properly inflated. They probably have some flat spots.

You can put seamfoam in your gas tank (very little) to clean the injectors but i wouldnt use it in your oil or intake if the bike only has 2000 miles on it. That said, your plugs are fine too with those low miles. If you can resist the tempation to jump on it right away i would flush your brake fluids as well.

welcome to the forum

Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Do you know how this bike was stored? If it was outside in the elements then yeah I can see flushing the brake fluid. However if it was stored inside and the brakes have good feel to them then I don't see a reason to flush it. Brake fluid is not like oil and coolant that needs to be changed every so often. When was the last time you did a brake fluid flush in your car . But do check those brake lines for cracks. I would instantly empty the old gas out. Don't even try to run it on old gas. Put some new gas in it with a bit of seafoam, change the oil, check tires for proper inflation but also dry rot and you should be good.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the undertail... I'm biased towards a 954RR conversion and custom undertail... IMO, it's the best looking option and integrated 954RR taillights are easy to come by.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 AM

It was stored in a shed (atleast when I bought it, it was). I noticed the plates expired in '08 so I imagine its pretty much sat around. I'm even surprised it runs if the fuel is really that old. The seller said it already had its 1st oil change but its still my habit to change oil right away in anything I buy

And that conversion looks sweet thats just the look i'm going for!

Old 04-26-2011, 12:36 PM

Here's whats on the Wife's f4i.. ebay undertail.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 PM

I'd still probably change the brake fluid. If it's a 2006, the fluid is 5 years old and from what I understand it still breaks down whether it's used or not.

I changed the fluid in the 2003 I just picked up and it was pretty nasty and was probably the original fluid. Of course there's also 43k on this bike and it's been ridden regularly and not sitting.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:14 AM

What kind of oil/filter do you guys use? I know we have to use something different with it being a wet clutch.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 AM

My local shop here uses Motul 3000 10W40. I may change that once I start doing my own, but for now that's what I go with.

For brake fluid, just take a look at it through the sight glass on your right handlebar. If it's a clear yellowish fluid, then you're good to go. If it's starting to brown up, then you may want to change it out. The rear brake fluid is in the middle of the bike under the seat. You should be able to see the fluid clearly. Also, check and make sure that the fluid level are above minimum. I like to see mine just a little under max.

Btw, awesome bike! I'd say take your course before you try to brave the streets with it. You'll learn how to be comfortable with it and you'll have a hell of a lot more fun. Anyway, ride safe and gear up all the time.

Quick Reply: Just getting started