F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

January Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default January Ride

So my bike is all tucked away for winter but the good south has sent us some warmer air this weekend..Maybe 40s lol... wondering if there are any issues with taking her out for awhile then re winterizing? all i did was sta-bil, full tank, battery is out and on stands..just wondering opinions because this is my first bike / first winter with her thanks

Old 01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I did the 100% full winterize. I took it out the other day, as another thread said, but this weekend it's hitting 40! I'm about 40 minutes west of Chicago, so I feel your pain. You can take it out, but just beware that the winter is a completely different situation than the summer.

Things to consider:
Cold tires (avoid those twisties)
You will NOT be expected nor seen on the road
Gotta make sure to stay warm. anything with less than three layers will get cold unless you have heated gear.

This being said. I'll be taking mine out Saturday if the weather stays good. Only thing I can recommend is driving the route in a car to double check the roads and make sure they're totally clear.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 PM

You haven't really done any "winterizing". Just go ride it and don't worry about it. The only thing I do to my bike during the winter is throw some stabil or sea-foam in the tank.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:04 PM

Didn't you guys get a bunch of snow this year? Isn't there sand and **** on the roads? Be careful!!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:53 PM

You haven't really done any "winterizing". Just go ride it and don't worry about it. The only thing I do to my bike during the winter is throw some stabil or sea-foam in the tank.
How did i not winterize it?

Didn't you guys get a bunch of snow this year? Isn't there sand and **** on the roads? Be careful!!
And yes we got some..nothing special.. around here they seldomly use sand or salt just that potassium chloride which is more of a liquid. All the main roads are dry..just wanting to get out if the weather lets me

Old 01-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh, they use a sand / salt slurry here. The edges and corners of the streets have a really fine grit that's waiting to throw me

Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by silverstonef4i
How did i not winterize it?
My point was that storing a bike for the winter isn't all encompassing like a boat or something where you have to flush and pickle the engines, change drive lube, treat the water and sewage tanks, etc.....

Throw the battery in it and ride.....

Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by silverstonef4i
And yes we got some..nothing special.. around here they seldomly use sand or salt just that potassium chloride which is more of a liquid. All the main roads are dry..just wanting to get out if the weather lets me
You is gonna lay it down bruh

Haha, kidding man I hope you don't. I'm not taking mine out until March...the roads around here are just ****ed in general around this time of year, **** all over. I don't even like driving my car on them LOL

Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
My point was that storing a bike for the winter isn't all encompassing like a boat or something where you have to flush and pickle the engines, change drive lube, treat the water and sewage tanks, etc.....

Throw the battery in it and ride.....
Gotcha thought maybe i missed something... figured id get mixed thoughts but oh well.. the only way ill go out is if we get my buddies vfr running and we go out for test ride..his bike is coming to my garage tomorrow so we will see if we get it running

Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im taking mine out as well if this weekend is nice. My girlfriend will be happy to have it out of the family room. (its been in since Xmas).

just avoid SALTY patches on the road, they'll ruin your day!

Quick Reply: January Ride