F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Issue getting Front Sprocket off Help!

Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue getting Front Sprocket off Help!

Hey guys, so yesterday i started working on the bike. I took off the back tire, took off the chain, and took off the front sprocket guard. Now i'm stuck. I can't get the front sprocket off. I read over a few "How To's", even the one here, and i made a mistake. I took the chain and tire off before the loosened up the bolt on the front sprocket. So i've been struggling getting this bad boy off, and now i'm going to you guys for help. I already cut the original chain, so putting it back on and all that isn't going to work. I put the old chain on, and basically tightened it, but this nut won't $%&#ing budge! HELP!

Any suggestions on getting a bolt off that doesn't want to go?

I already tried soaking it in wd40 and all that, but i'm all up for ideas.

Another question is, which way do i rotate to take it off? counterclockwise, or clockwise?

Thanks guys.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Impact and/or muscle. Put it in first gear and have someone hold the rear brake down so your not putting to much stress on your gears.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by nrmskate
Impact and/or muscle. Put it in first gear and have someone hold the rear brake down so your not putting to much stress on your gears.
I already took the chain off. read OP.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:06 PM

i guess try to take an impact wrench to it or put the chain around it and hold it while you try to muscle it off. counterclockwise

Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 PM

Put a piece of wood like a 2x2 in the rim so back wheel doesnt move, put a big wrench on it and smack the end of the wrench with a hammer and that should pop it right off.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dragondima
I already took the chain off. read OP.
Are you a dumbass? I didn't say anything about the chain. I read your damn post. That was advice for getting the front sprocket off. If your having issues with the sprocket moving when trying to muscle it off, put it in gear and hold the rear brake. About the wd40, it said to take a lot of caution when using wd40 near plastics around the front sprocket, so be careful if you end up using it. PB blaster works better than wd40 for me, so you may want to try that.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM

since my chain was already off when i changed mine i used the chain by wrapping it around the sprocket..it will then kink up on the housing not letting the sprocket move then it's just a matter of loosening the bolt.. i used a 1/2 brake over bar made it pretty easy...installing is the same but you will put the chain on the opposite way....unless it is rusted on you will not need wd40...

remember righty tighty lefty loosy

Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhhh....just put your bike into 1st, and use a socket wrench and a rubber hammer as mentioned.

Doesn't matter if the chain or wheel is off.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, i ended getting it off with my own ingenuity. Used a C clamp and safely position the old chain around it, used a wrench and just went at it haha.

Here are pictures for reference, in case someone later down the road finds this thread and needs the same help.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Dragondima; 02-28-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great idea. Good going!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Issue getting Front Sprocket off Help!