F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

IPOD Instrument holder

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPOD Instrument holder

Hey guys, so I was riding the other day and after fumbling with my IPOD several times, I thought about putting a holder for it near the instrument cluster. I went to walmart and they have a car adapter for IPOD's that plug into the cigarette lighter. I was thinking of taking that off so all you are left with is a holder and wires hanging out the back. My thinkin was to somehow wire these into a power source on the bike and then mount the holder somewhere on the left side of the cluster. That way you can scroll through songs with your left hand while your right hand is on the throttle, your IPOD charges while you ride so it'll never die, and you dont have to fiddle around your pockets trying to find your IPOD. I will have to find the best spot to mount it and maybe come up with a small canvas cover to put over the holder in case it rains, and check the amps coming from the bike to make sure it won't blow th IPOD when i put it in the charger. Post up and let me know what you think.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:20 AM

They make cig plugs for bikes. Generally for heated hear, but you could wire one up for ipod, gps, whatever.

My one piece of advice is make sure the holder is good, my gps came off my bike at about 30mph when I went over a bump in the rode. I since also do a retainer strap.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:29 AM

Ok, but how big are these cig adapters? would it fit next to the cluster without looking like crap? I would want something pretty small so it adds to the sleekness of the bike

Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 AM

Ok here is a couple choices for you,

First is if you are not very handy

http://www.powerletproducts.com/index.php

They make bike specific stuff pretty slick, but pricey

Second here is a how to so to speak

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...er-outlet.html

Wally world sells everything you need or radio shack.

I've seen mount points in the air duct, fender side, instrument gauge and under seat.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why don't you just set a playlist of songs that you want to listen to and pay attention to the things around you and not your ipod?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:56 PM

Because that doesn't allow the ipod to charge

Old 03-12-2009, 04:55 PM

My Ipod holds a charge for 4 hours of non stop play. I usually don't ride for 4 hours non stop anyways.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 PM

1st gen IPOD. It seems to only hold a charge for about 4 hours. The only **** about it is if I dont remember to charge it, it dies on rides. Thanks Y'all for your responses. To tell you the truth I dont really like the tank mount brackets, I did however look into just single 12v lighter adapters that can mount almost anywhere. Also I'm not going to be messing with it while I'm riding (too much anyway), I was mostly wanting to come up with something cool that would add to the gauge cluster. I'll have to check around. What are some good sites to check out the tons of different mounts that you are talking about.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 PM

What I did, is take velcro put it on the back of your Ipod, and put a strip on your tank. Has never fallen off the tank.

Quick Reply: IPOD Instrument holder