F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Integrated tail light dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teko1020
You told him to buy a fuse checker or "see if they are blown." Not what to look for.
and what did i say in the parenthesis right after that statement?

Old 06-14-2009, 01:20 AM

Is it that time of the month? I just told him to look for black soot instead of going to Pepboys and buying a fuse checker or worrying about a "S." Black = no good. It's as simple as that.
well, there this fuse checker that i got at pepboys with a light and you dont even need to pull a fuse out, just make a contact with it and see if its lit or not. very simple and if i like something that saves me time and headache, i dont mind to share my opinion about it with others.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:28 AM

Both of you guys were very helpful. Thank you!!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by mbison83
and what did i say in the parenthesis right after that statement?
I'll be honest. I stopped reading after you suggested buying a "fuse checker." Since it's a not needed product that adds extra expenses. I did edit my message before you posted a reply. However I'm not going to continue this since the person these messages were directed towards is satisfied.

Last edited by teko1020; 06-14-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:22 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Who cares if you stopped reading. The guy was offering his help to the OP, end of story.

Oh, and fuses can be blown and still look okay. Not very common with the smaller fuses like the ones in our bikes, but can still happen.

thef4i, in the future, before you do any work with wiring things into your bike, you should remove any fuses from the items you're working with. The fuse box is labeled, so if you're working with lights, pull the fuse that says lights, etc. That will prevent power from going to them, and avoid small fires (which by the way usually means you touched a positive wire to a ground - bad!).

Old 06-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the heads up, im definetly going to disconnect them next time.

Paid 80 bucks to get it fixed at a local shop. I got pretty frustrated with myself and the bike so I had someone else touch my bike...The overall quality of the tail light was ok but the fit was pretty crappy compared to the oem. It doesnt align perfectly and isn't straight but its pretty bright. It was also missing a cover for the wires so I sent the company an email asking for one. I'd give it a 6/10 for overall quality. I'll post some pics after school starts.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by thef4i
Thanks for the heads up, im definetly going to disconnect them next time.

Paid 80 bucks to get it fixed at a local shop. I got pretty frustrated with myself and the bike so I had someone else touch my bike...The overall quality of the tail light was ok but the fit was pretty crappy compared to the oem. It doesnt align perfectly and isn't straight but its pretty bright. It was also missing a cover for the wires so I sent the company an email asking for one. I'd give it a 6/10 for overall quality. I'll post some pics after school starts.
wow. it sucks that u are not satisfied, bro. i've installed mine without much trouble with fitting and it looks pretty good. perhaps the shop did not install the metal brackets in your rear cowl correctly. that could mess up the alignment of the taillight. i'd check it myself if i were you. or... since i see u live in LA, you could stop by my place and i could take a look at it myself. it's up to you. i've never paid anyone to do anything to my bike ever since i got it. i've learned all strictly from a hands on experience, which was fun even though quite frustrating at times

Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 AM

I'll be honest. I stopped reading after you suggested buying a "fuse checker." Since it's a not needed product that adds extra expenses. I did edit my message before you posted a reply. However I'm not going to continue this since the person these messages were directed towards is satisfied.
i rather spend the $10 and save the headache. thanks for your suggestion.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Berto
For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of undertails and small, integrated lighting packages most of them have. On my F4i, I intentionally left the stockers in place and added a bright modulator for the brake light.

I think some of the lighting systems I've seen invite a rear end crash. I'd rather avoid it.

It's more the brake light than the signals, I think.

--Paul
I agree, I hate the intergrated lights. You can't ever freakin see them, especially in the day. My friend has the rear intergrated with a clear lense and unless you are really paying attention you can't see the damn thing. I prefer the big bulky ugly stock signals because they stick out way outside the bike so people behind you can see what you're doing. They are also real bright too. My next bike I will find one with the stock signals still in place.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:37 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I agree, I hate the intergrated lights. You can't ever freakin see them, especially in the day. My friend has the rear intergrated with a clear lense and unless you are really paying attention you can't see the damn thing. I prefer the big bulky ugly stock signals because they stick out way outside the bike so people behind you can see what you're doing. They are also real bright too. My next bike I will find one with the stock signals still in place.
Or you can add aftermarket lights in addition to the integrated signal, which is what I did. Set of yellow LEDs in each passenger peg for running & turn signals. Holla.

I think it also depends which tail light you get when it comes to quality and brightness. I'm very happy with my Clear Alternatives.

Quick Reply: Integrated tail light dangerous?