CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Integrated tail light dangerous? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/integrated-tail-light-dangerous-95366/)

thef4i 06-12-2009 01:13 AM

Integrated tail light dangerous?

Hey everyone. I've heard that integrated tail lights are dangerous because when signaling and braking at the same time, the driver behind wont be able to tell that ur slowing down until its too late because one side is being used for signaling so the brake light isn't as bright or noticeable as an oem tail light. Opinions from anyone with experience from this area?

teko1020 06-12-2009 01:53 AM

Unless motorcycles all of a sudden have emergency blinkers then there is always a brake light. If they don't notice you til it's too late then they weren't paying attention. In which case a stop sign strapped to your back wouldn't save you.

thef4i 06-12-2009 02:10 AM

I know there is always gona be a brake light. Thanks for your opinion but I acutally wanted more info about the brightness and visibility of the integrated tail light itself.

I agree that there is only so much motorcyclists can do but i just wanted to read some cons about integrated tail lights before investing some money into it. I tap my rear brake a lot before actually slowing down to catch the driver's attention so im doing my part to stay away from becoming a statistic.

teko1020 06-12-2009 02:15 AM

There isn't a universal brightness when it comes to lights. However there are stock signals out there with integrated turn signals.

thef4i 06-12-2009 02:29 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...Q5fAccessories

Im thinking about picking up this one. See how when the brake light and turn signal is being used, naturally only one side of the brake light is showing. I just wanted to know how the brightness compares to the brightness of the oem tail light. Thanks

VTcbr 06-12-2009 03:14 AM

It all depends on the brand and either LED or regular lights for an integrated.

If you shop around you'll be able to find something massively bright.

At least you're staying away from a hotbodies undertail with the 2 small circle LED's that function as directionals, brake, and running light....brutal.

Berto 06-12-2009 04:03 AM

For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of undertails and small, integrated lighting packages most of them have. On my F4i, I intentionally left the stockers in place and added a bright modulator for the brake light.

I think some of the lighting systems I've seen invite a rear end crash. I'd rather avoid it.

It's more the brake light than the signals, I think.

--Paul

Jmclmorrow 06-12-2009 07:41 AM

I just installed my LED integrated brake light last night with the turn signals integrated into it. When I get home today if its not raining I will take some picures of it with the brake light only, with the turn signals only and with the brake light and turn signals. This is during the day, I can tell you already that it is super bright because I was testing them yesterday. Last night I went out at about 10 just to see how bright they are at night and they are brighter than stock.

VTcbr 06-12-2009 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jmclmorrow (Post 796747)
I just installed my LED integrated brake light last night with the turn signals integrated into it. When I get home today if its not raining I will take some picures of it with the brake light only, with the turn signals only and with the brake light and turn signals. This is during the day, I can tell you already that it is super bright because I was testing them yesterday. Last night I went out at about 10 just to see how bright they are at night and they are brighter than stock.

Nice!

some pics would be great, i'm looking at getting an integrated bright and a hotbodies undertial to seal the deal.

Whats the make? How much?

Jmclmorrow 06-12-2009 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by VTcbr (Post 796750)
Nice!

some pics would be great, i'm looking at getting an integrated bright and a hotbodies undertial to seal the deal.

Whats the make? How much?

It is a "volar motorsports smoked integrated tail", I got it off of ebay for 53$ shipped. Its a direct replacement for the stock tailight, I wanted this because I have a pimpbikes undertail on the way and It's the one that reuses the stock tailight. It doesnt come with intallation instructions and the wiring was a bit tricky at first but once I figured out what wire goes to what then all I had to do was soder the wires together, heat wrap shrink them and electrical tape them to make em look nice and neat. If anyone gets this light or one similar to it and needs help with the wiring I know exactly how it is supposed to go now so Id be able to tell you.