F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

installing frame sliders

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing frame sliders

was just wondering what the easiest way to install frame sliders on my 03 cbr 600 F4i. Any hints or intruction will help thanks.....

Old 08-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Default RE: installing frame sliders

I put my f4i up on stands and used a laser pointer on a jack to shine into engine mount where the the slider is going to be. It's hollow all the way through so if you get it perfect you can see the laser through the other side of the bike.

Put the fairing back on and there is a nice laser point exactly where you need to drill. Drill a pilot hole at the laser point and then use a hole saw.

Pretty much comes out perfect with little to no gap between the slider and the fairing.

If you can't get it that close another thing that I heard is to go to office depot and get a couple of furniture grommets, they are about 3" and you drill your hole at that size and put the grommet in. Looks really clean.

Good luck.[8D]

Old 09-10-2005, 01:57 AM

ok this is how I do it for all my friends... this is some true MacGyver sh**. ok

1. Before you install the slider break up a piece of popcorn shipping material. Shove a piece in the hex of the existing engine mounting bolt where the slider goes... fairing removed by the way..hehe

2. cut a small diameter piece of popcorn and stick a toothpick through it.. not all the way but enough where it stays on... glue it if you like.

3. dip it on the tip into some kind of heavy craft paint that won't drip and make sure to not to have too much excess.

4. center the toothpick in the popcorn and align it as straight as possible. Better if your bike it upright (held or with a stand is best)

5. replace the fairing as carefully as possible and you should get a center point. you might have to adjust the height or find a replacement for a toothpick if it doesn reach properly.

6. drill a very small hole at that point. (If you have a rotory tool with a center guide you will use that as a locater)

7. regardless if you have a center guide or not I recommend you use a pencil compass (you can find in stationary of any department store) to ouline your final diameter using the locater hole you drilled as your center point.

8. if you are using a center guide cut ever so slightly away from final diameter so you can sand and buff it afterwards.

9. if you have no guide I recommend you cut smaller than the final diameter by about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch until you have removed a large chunk of plastic so you can freely move about from inside with a grinding stone attachment to inch up on the diameter evenly.

10. Remember you should have the recommended clearance diameter from the slider so it won't crack the fairing if it bends.

I hope that helps some people. as I sat around thinking about it for a while when I first got my bike. Should have checked some forums.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:30 AM

has anyone else some feedback on what I do regularly... I was just curious if I could improve on my own thoughts.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Retired Mod

f4i_reborn, ive seen it done very similar to what you do. the only difference is using a longer than stock bolt in the engine mount. that would ensure it being straighter than the toothpick-in-popcorn rig. also, use grease instead of paint. wont run and can clean off of anything that it touches. just a few suggestions. the rubber grommet things sound like a good idea. you could cut a large hole to eliminate the possibility of cracking and close the gap with the grommet. that would make a very clean looking installation.

by the way (just to rub it in), my bike required no fairing mods for frame sliders!

Old 11-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back out the engine bolt somewhat. stick a piece of clay at the end of the bolt. put fairing back on and then press in at the area where the bolt would be.
the clay is stuck to the inside of the fairing. then drill.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:13 PM

I did the same thing as tahoe but used a dab of caulk instead.