F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problem

when the bike temp is around 223 it gets really hot and when im at lights it cuts off on me while in neautral when its idling. Also when its in first and i have been riding long it cuts off on me any advice??? please help

Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Default RE: Idle problem

check your vacuum lines. You may have a leak which causes the bike to run hot, not to mention leans out the motor. If this is the case another symptom is your engine RPM will hang up at about 3K RPM when you drop the throttle. A simpler thing may be bad gas

Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: bapishere

when the bike temp is around 223 it gets really hot and when im at lights it cuts off on me while in neautral when its idling. Also when its in first and i have been riding long it cuts off on me any advice??? please help

any history available on this bike? more information would be helpful

Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 PM

just check you battery cable my bike was doing the same and thats all it was or maybe becuz it overheating

Old 08-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

as far as cutting out in neutral i had gas and it did the same thing

Old 08-14-2008, 05:54 PM

its a 2002 honda cbr f4i 5xxx miles on it i just purchased it in april it was well maintained had 3,530 when i first bought it. Just recently got out the shop because of oil leak. All the bolts nuts and screws on the engine cover and oil thing was loose that what caused the leak and smoke. It doesnt shut off all the time just once in a while one day it will shut off while idling another day it wont. Any ideas to what the problem is???

Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 PM

As usual.....Thats also a sign of the fuel pressure regulator going bad. Once the bike warms up and drops to a normal RPM range at idle, it dies...Also when riding if u pull in the clutch or neutral to stop signs, it dies......All symptoms of the FPR going bad.....Does it smell as though its running rich. Like smell of pure gas from the exhaust???....=-)

Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 AM

not really. It doesnt smell rich. Maybe it does right after i fill it up with gas not too sure. If it is the Fuel pressure regulator going bad do i need a whole new one?? And also how much will the parts and labor cost?? What else could it be i took it for a short ride today and i adjusted the idle to a steady 1,000 rpm not below as it usually is on the stock setting. Could this fix the problem adjusting the idle hire so it wont shut off??

Old 08-15-2008, 08:34 AM

a new FPR costs about 65$ from an OEM dealer..

i always laugh when ppl have problems with their FPR, they turn up the idle screw like that fixes something.. i would not do this on my bike b/c its effin retarded. best is when you get the FPR fixed & the previous owner had the idle screw turned up so far that once its replaced & working right, the bike is idling at like 4grand lol

good luck, changing a FPR is easy, easy to diagnose. read the other post regarding FPR & feel free to msg me if you need help with it.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 PM

Also, i have seen this problem a few times in my life.....Not very many of you will suffer from this problem unless your really not too mechanically inclined...Anyways, the bike calls for about 3 1/2 quarts of oil during and oil change. I've seen people put too much oil in the bike, like say 4+ quarts. When they do that, the bike itself can not hold an idle on its own. Because it builds too much oil pressure and the pressure on the crankshaft causes it to kill itself. The only thing that would keep it running is YOU giving it throttle, forcing the crank shaft to turn at a fast enough momentum to stay cranked (this will blow a head gasket sooner or later, and no tellin what else it'll *** up)......So for those of you that buy USED bikes and never think about changing the fluids before you ride them....Let this be a reminder of the stupid things that stupid people will do.......=-)

PS: To the original author....i doubt this is your problem, unless u bought bike used and never changed fluids....Or you urself put too much oil in it during an oil change....=-)

Quick Reply: Idle problem