F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I thought I needed Moses to stop the flood in my engine!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought I needed Moses to stop the flood in my engine!

I've only been riding for a few months, I had my first flooded engine lastnight. But easily fixed. Hats off to the tech guys at Honda for designing the throttle and ignition controls for the easy fix. I was surprised at the ease of fixing this issue.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I thought I needed Moses to stop the flood in my engine!

Hats off to the tech guys at Honda for designing the throttle and ignition controls for the easy fix.
It's fun to play tricks on your co-workers with that one too...

One guy I know bought a new Titan - I asked if I could take a quick peek at it - of course he says. - I hop in the drivers seat - ask if I can start 'er up... - Get the keys and hold the pedal to the floor- he doesn't notice this - Crank for a few seconds and it doesn't start - give him the WTF stare. - You can literally see their faces go white when their new truck doesn't start...

Worth a little chuckle. - Other prank I pull is loosen up the gascap for a SES light - Fun that won't leave 'em stranded!

Don't mess with a car guy

Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 PM

ok, shows what I know. I didnt think it was really possible to flood a FI engine. but I guess if you really try you can. so what was the fix?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: krash

ok, shows what I know. I didnt think it was really possible to flood a FI engine. but I guess if you really try you can. so what was the fix?
You are a lot less likely to flood a fuel injected car, because it does not shoot any extra fuel into the cylinders when you press the accellerator, or roll on the throttle before starting (Pumping the gas on an older carb car shot extra fuel into the intake which was a frequent cause of a flooded engine).

HOWEVER to clear pretty much ANY flooded fuel injected vehicle, you hold the throttle wide open while attempting to start it. - Generally the Fuel Injection computer is programmed to cut ALL fuel to the engine until the throttle is released. - Hence - if you hold the Accelerator pedal down on a car fully, then try to start it, it will crank indefinitely, as it should not be getting any fuel.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 AM

Good way to prime the oil system after a change too.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:44 PM

moses didnt stop a flood he split a sea the red sea at that...i think

Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 PM

It's worth mentioning that not all EFI cars have a "flood clear" mode, but most do. My '94 Toyota pickup is one example. I tried it and it just raced the engine. Not good when you're trying to prime the oil system after an oil change. [&:]

Some argue that it's a leftover from the carbureted days, but I would say that it is in fact still a useful feature. I have flooded more than one EFI car before and flooring the throttle before and during cranking really does clear it out.....just like with a carb.