F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I think I need a new chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I think I need a new chain

are you saying the 520 or 525 will last longer?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: firemanron

tahoe, what do you mean by tracking it? speedo healer, is that what you mean?
I think he means racing on a track.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM

I think the 520 is great for the street as well, as you use a ton of low end power going from stoplight to stoplight.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the sproket change that's noticable. As mentioned earlier you get better acceleration by changing to a -1 up front. To rephrase Tahoe- The 525 is a stronger chain and unless you're prepping the bike for competition the 520 is only more costly.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in a current situation likethe O.P. I have an 03 F4i that now has 11,800 miles (I originally bought the bike with 8.2k). Now I checked the chain and there's a some amount of rust on it...should I go and replaced it and since I am doing that should Ireplace the sprockets?

Also, how long does a chain normally last? Does that depend on how well it's taken care of? Since I bought it used and unknown of how the prior owner took care, would it be wise to spend the cash and get this done?

Thank you

Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM

chain usually last from 8 to 16K or so, depending on chain, how much you ride, how you ride and how well it is maintained.

rust on the side plates doesn't mean the chain is no longer good. it has more to do with if the links are kinking and if the chain is stretching. when a chain goes bad, you'll see tight spots here and there and and/or you'll be adjusting chain tension everytime you ride.

now if your chain has little rust spots on the plates here and there, but all else is ok, then no need to replace. just clean and lube the **** out of it. if it's way rusty and looks like it'll give you lockjaw or will snap, then by all means replace it...WITH DID only...

again, i stress that unless you need the weight savings for track/racing, then a 525 is best. keep the same gearing and changing from 525 to 520 won't give you any noticeable increase in speed, etc...but swapping gearing will.

t

Old 02-26-2008, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

replace it...WITH DID only...
WHAT?!!! I have NEVER EVER had a problem or noticed a difference between RK, EK, Reginaand DID. Skip the brand loyatly crap and just make sure whatever you get comes with a name brand chain. And the best thing to do, get a chain and sproket kit for your bike. You will get both sprokets and the chain matched to those sprockets and you bike, by buying the kit there is no guess work. As far a wear on the chain, if you take care of it you can get 25 to 30k out of a chain. I had 15 on my stock chain on my katana when I sold it and I had to adjust it once in those 15k miles, not a speck of rust or red clay anywhere.

Here are a few kits a quick google brought up. Make sure you payattention to what color thechain is, I personallydo not like gold chains on most bikes...

+1 Front Sprocket
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...i--615114.html

Stock Gearing but 520 chain
http://www.starcycle-usa.com/servlet/Detail?no=6247

Stock Gearing but 520 chain (ebay)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/520-V...QQcmdZViewItem

Choose whatever gearing you want and 520 Chain (RK)
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1061

Choose whatever gearing you want and 520 Chain (DID)
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1060

Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean it up and make sure it's not just surface dirt or something. The condition of the sprokets will tell a lot of the story. Make sure that you have stock sprokets when you use the swingarm measurements.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: TBFGhost

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

replace it...WITH DID only...
WHAT?!!! I have NEVER EVER had a problem or noticed a difference between RK, EK, Reginaand DID.
good for you!
just calling them as i see them. i've heard of issues with RK, EK, etc, but not DID...i've experienced issues with RK, EK, but never DID. IDK about regina.

you know...when i picked up my last chain and there was this dude in front who wanted RK, and bought RK...i asked my supplier why the heck he sold him that POS...he said "i know i know, but he insisted he wanted RK so i gave it to him"...i said "but you and i know that DID is the way to go...you should only be selling DIDs"...he said "hey, i would if i could, but that means i'd lose business with all the nut jobs who don't want DID"...then i asked..."so if someonen came in and said they wanted the best chain (not necessarily most bling or best ever but just quality for all levels of chains) what would you sell him"...he said.....blah blah blah...

Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 AM

DID is the most trouble-free chain i've heard of as well. but again that's only secondhand experience.

though, i don't want to experience a chain snapping and eating my left calf, first hand.

Quick Reply: I think I need a new chain