F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

i need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help!

so i put my new farings on last night and in doing so i had to disconnect the headlight wiring harness (1 plug with about 15 wires). now after i reconnected it my bike wont start. it turns on and the guages do thier thing but then the highbeam indicator stays on(with the switch on low), the headlight never comes on, the fuel pump doesnt prime, the engine turns over and will start after a few sec of cranking but dies as soon as i let go of the start button. i tried cleaning that headlight wire connector, disconnecting the battery for 10 min (more like an hour), and jumping the BAS all with no luck. then.... it randomly turned on normal. fuel pump primed, headlight was on, and it started right up. so i started checking the switches turn signals both work but as soon as i turned on the highbeam it died and im back to square 1. any ideas? also ive been riding the bike to work..well everywhere for like a month with no prob so it has to be related to me disconnecting that plug.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 AM

i know i saw a thread with this same prob but i couldn't find a solution for it. anyone?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 AM

i had almost the same problem as this, my problem ended up being a ground issue with a wire in the wirering harness. Check to make sure there are no loose wires and eveything is grounded properly

Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 AM

thnks drew. which ground was your prob? was it near the headlight? cause the only thing i disconnected was that one plug.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:19 PM

ok anyone who has this problem check the main harness plug to your headlight (front faring like 15-16wires). on mine the green wire at the very end got pushed out about 1/4" probably while i was recconecting it and caused this whole problem. i was able to see it today in the light and pushed it back in and it fired right up.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Angry

yeah that was the same wire i had a problem with, however i had it taken to a shop to figure it out and they ran an entire new wire and it ended up costing me 200 bucks

Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 PM

lucky me i guess. hopefully this thread will help some of the others ive seen with this problem. everyone always thinks its the BAS and when you look in the manual it tells you to unbolt it and turn it to test it and i did mine and you could hear the engine kill relay clickin away so i guess it doesnt have a "reset". but its outside my work right now (YAY) and 3 people already asked me if i traded my bike in for a new one. i guess that means the plastic was a good idea!