F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How to strap down in pick-up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to strap down in pick-up?

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a F4i, and I may need to truck it home (1992 F250 4wd). I've been looking at pics of the bike, and I can't figure out where I would attach the straps to it (front/rear)?? Looks like the brackets near the passenger foot pegs may work for the back, but then again they look a little flimsy.

Any advice and/or pics would be great!

--Bill

Old 05-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Default RE: How to strap down in pick-up?

just rol it into the back of a picup and strap down the handle bars to the side of the truck bed add a couple of blocks so the bike don't roll fron to back and your set.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:43 PM

rear passenger pegs for the rear and for the front i just went arond the stearing knuckle. I had four straps two for the back and two for the front and the two for the front had the hooks so i hokked them together after i wrapped them around the stearing. Worked fine If you only have two then you can still do the same thing just loop it through the rear passenger pegs and then wrap it around the stearing in front. Either way should work fine as long as your straps are long enough if you only have two.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 AM

i bought a canyon dancer to tie down the front. i had to trailer the bike on a short bed ford ranger so i couldn't even close teh tailgate so i made sure the bike was tied down good before i drove 150 miles.

i had a couple straps go over the rear seat and front wheel also along with a couple that kept it snug on the swingarm spools

Old 05-22-2006, 12:11 PM

People have various opinions on this. Some use an "X" shape for support, while others use side mounts. Basically you'll have 4 straps to play with. You want to tie down the front forks and the back pegs or wrap the back and from tires. It depends on what you feel comfortable doing. Here's a link if you want to check it out...

http://motorcycles.about.com/library...ipmaint006.htm

Old 05-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Banned

You may want to compress the front forks to reduce the bouncing.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:59 PM

1. Get a good set of tie downs
2. Either buy or make a couple straps like these (http://www.lockitt.com/AccessTieDown1.htm#canyondancer) that go around the handgrips which you will attach to the abovementioned tie downs. (I made mine)
3. Once you have the bike centered in the bed of the truck, attach the tie downs to the straps on your handgrips and to the hooks in the bed of the truck. (Mine are located in the front corners of the bed - '99 Chevy) Pull down to compress your front forks. Make sure that you have equal amount of pressure on both tie downs. You don't want your forks TOO compressed, however the straps should be snug and if you wiggle the bike, it shouldn't move from side to side. Be sure to tie off the ends of the tie down straps to themselves just in case one of them let's go. If you have a shortbed pickup, the bike should fit in there perfectly and you can close the tailgate, so no need to use straps to tie off the backend.

I have hauled my bike with me many times to Texas and Ohio and have had zero problems doing it this way. (I do check at every gas stop to make sure that the straps are still snug and adjust if necessary)

If you have specifics, you can always PM me. thanks!
Denyse