F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How do you take your bike on LONG trips (truck / hitch / etc..)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do you take your bike on LONG trips (truck / hitch / etc..)

5 Hours? Get a bungee net and lash a duffle bag on the back... I've done that before noon

It'll go in your truck just fine - install some low tie down points and make sure you tie it to strong points. Bars work for some people, however, I have seen them snap. Cast metal isn't meant to be stressed in that manner at all. It is much better to tie to the bed of the truck and tie up to the triples.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

ORIGINAL: kcinobro

I have a similar issue. I have a Lincoln Town Car and I plan on moving to Orlando pretty soon (about a 15 hour drive). My car has a V8 so I know it can handle it. But I don't have a hitch on it or a trailor. I'm not sure which is the best plan of action because I need to haul my bike and my stuff (not too much) at the same time. Any suggestions?
Uhaul you can get a hitch and rent a trailer... it'll tow it no problem. One of the guys I work with has a Town Car too, and he drove up to New York (from SoFla) a couple months ago with a decent sized enclosed trailer to pick up his Goldwing and haul it back. Didn't have any problems (well except the piece of crap trailer... wheel bearings kept seizing up, tires blowing out, etc), but the car towed it just fine. That's what I would do, just find a decent sized trailer to rent. Either that or just rent a big truck and put all your stuff + bike in the back, and tow the car behind

Thanks bro. I think that's what I'll do.

Check this site out. it seems very convenient, but its a little pricy ($520 for the VH-SPORT RO).
http://versahaul.com/

Old 04-10-2007, 03:16 AM

Forget towing it, gas is almost 3 bucks a gallon, just ride it and wear a back pack.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mm ive road my bike to the beach about 3 hours, it was long i dont know if i could do all that again, next time ill probably get pulled, 5 hours there and back is what like 600 miles round trip, thats alot of miles down the center of that tire, esp once it heats up and stays running hot for 2 or 3 hours just in the middle, but thats just me, and my super sticky bull**** tires, if you can do it more power too ya, thirdgen youre a damn trooper i dont know how you do long rides

Old 04-10-2007, 04:16 AM

ORIGINAL: JZHALES

mm ive road my bike to the beach about 3 hours, it was long i dont know if i could do all that again, next time ill probably get pulled, 5 hours there and back is what like 600 miles round trip, thats alot of miles down the center of that tire, esp once it heats up and stays running hot for 2 or 3 hours just in the middle, but thats just me, and my super sticky bull**** tires, if you can do it more power too ya, thirdgen youre a damn trooper i dont know how you do long rides
yea i dunno how long i could really ride the bike in a straight shot everywhere i need to go that is far i just take my car, but i was thinking that too does riding on a long trip in a straight line cause a safety issue for the tire since the contact patch when ur going in a straight line is just right down the middle?, dont wanna thread jack but it just reminded me

Old 04-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride mine too,took itcross country. Only time I've put a bike in the back of a truck is for crash recovery. Take the bike and put it into the truck with the front wheel up against the bulk head of the truck and put the bike on its kick stand. Take the tie downs connect them to the left fork and the left side of the sub frame. Pull them down tightly against the kick stand. Now go to the right side and connect the last two tie downs to the right fork and right side sub frame. Make it snug, just don't pull the bike off the kick stand. I like to make sure that the bike is sitting on the kick stand. I wish I had some picture to give for clarification.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 AM

I'll be investing in a trailer cause my trucks sits a bit too high to put a bike in the back[>:]

Old 04-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Living in Ohio doesnt afford much time for riding so I modified my dirt bike trailer. I widened the center rail in the back to accomidate for the fat rear tire of the sport bike:

Multi Purpose

I have a Jeep grand cherokee with a Class 4 hitch on it. The trailer was actually bought by my brother as a ready to assemble trailer off ebay. We have since modified it before he dols it to me. We added a wood platform to it and then widened the rear of the rails. Since these pictures were taken we also re welded and reinforced the fenders because they were attatched very well. When I tow it, I cant even tell there is anything behind me. I lose 1 mpg on the highway and nothing in the city.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Hey Guys,

I thought i'd bring this back from the dead...

I'm thinking about getting an f-150 to accomidate carrying my bike (I don't like driving with a trailor - not really sure why, i just don't).

So two questions:

1) will the bike fit with the tail gate up in a 6.5' bed? (the regular size) or do I have to go to the 8' bed?
2) I asked this before - but what's the best way to get the bike in the truck, is there a company who makes ramps for this? - I'm not sure if I can find any hills where it would lower the bed all the way down to the ground around here

Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 PM

not sure if it will fit a 6.5' bed or not, whatever you do, if you haul the bike much get a baxley sport chock. Best damn chock ever invented. You won't have to compress the forks for the bike to remain stable (if you compress the forks without the straps running exaclty parallel with the forks,there will be uneven pressure on the forks seals, and they'll be much more likely to start leaking). The bike will be much more secure and it will be easier to load. Its a good idea to secure the chock in the truck bed somehow so the bikes front wheel doesn't try to rotate the whole chock when your turning and if its bolted in, you only need 2 straps hooked to a canyon dancer to strap in the bike. I haul at least one bike just about every weekend on average 8+ hour drives using baxley chocks and I love them

a fold-up ATV ramp will work fine (you can walk up it beside the bike or ride the bike up if you trust the ramp enough lol)

Quick Reply: How do you take your bike on LONG trips (truck / hitch / etc..)