F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

how do you know when...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you know when...

Hello all,

My buddy just bought an 02 F4i without really going over the bike fully to inspect it, dumbass...anyways what are some symptoms of a dropped bike when you ride it and what not? thanks in advance

Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: how do you know when...

Well I would honestly it would be VERY hard to tell if the person got a good paint job done and/or replaced the parts

....but for an inspection I would look for:
Look at the back tire look for any bald spots, see if the tire is squared, check the suspension. If you see a bald tire a 180 will cost you 300 with install. A squared tire might be okay but you will have to try and round it out. That means he rides long rides and doesn't turn often. That's not good for the tire. Give it a couple bounces see if you see the o-rings leak any oil. Look at the chain and sprocket and see if they are worn. If the sprocket looks sharp and pointy the sprocket needs to be replaced.

Then turn that puppy on.There should be a smooth idle. Warm it up. When warm you shouldn't hear any spitting sound. It should sound healthy without interuptions. Check all lights make sure they work. also, check the plastics. When your done checking the plastics, check them again.
Grab the upper by the mirror see if they wiggle or have a lot slop. If they do the bike is well F$%$%. It shouldn't move. Now don't grab it like ur gonna whip it over your shoulder. Just a regular tug should do the trick.

....this was the advice my buddy gave me...I just twicked it here and there

Old 06-07-2007, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: wishin4600rr
Grab the upper by the mirror see if they wiggle or have a lot slop. If they do the bike is well F$%$%. It shouldn't move. Now don't grab it like ur gonna whip it over your shoulder. Just a regular tug should do the trick.
are you saying to tug on the mirror and see if the fairing moves? or if the mirror moves?

also, when i bought my bike i thought it was perfect, however after further inspection i noticed that the decals on the upper and tail fairings had clear coat on top of them. so the bike has either been repainted or has aftermarket fairings.

check to see if the decals are on top of the clear coat or underneath it. they should be on top.
________
MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY ADVICE

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 PM

About the decals and clear coat, they SHOULD be under the clear coat on the tank.
--Acumen

Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 AM

+1 on the clear coat.. also.. check the rims to see if they have any rash on them, or any parts where the tire meets the rim are scratched or bent.. this is usually indicative of a drop since it's hard to get scratches there any other way.. check the underside of the pegs and also the stator cover and the bottom of the swing arm... these are all places that get wear when a bike is dropped and places that people dont always notice or dont think anyone else will notice

Old 06-08-2007, 02:38 AM

Turn the handlebars all the way left then right- the distance to the front fairing/windscreen should be the same and shouldn't touch the fairing. My fairing stay bracket was bent and the handlebars would "catch" a little until I bent things back.

Look at the transmission shifter lever by the left foot make sure it is secure and make sure there is clearance between the bikes drivechain and the footpeg/rearset which could be bent inwards.

Check for oil leaks.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Acumen

About the decals and clear coat, they SHOULD be under the clear coat on the tank.
--Acumen
yea, i forgot that it should be under on the tank, but not on any of the other fairing though.

________
Old Man Movie

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Just dropping a bike doesnt do too much to it. Crashing it is another matter.
Check the front end steering stops for abuse. Check the teeth on the rear
sprocket for extreme wear.. may have been overly stunted.