F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How do you guys lift your bikes?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I hear ya. If you ever buy a place though I recommend the rafter hang. It costs like 20 bucks max to do and makes it easy to lift. I just like it because I don't have to find a place to store stands. Small garage....

Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM

OP I recommend you get the t-rex stands if you want something better than what you already ordered. I'm sure pitbull stands are nice but they cost nearly twice as much as the t-rex stands and do the same thing.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you say small garage?...

And to think, it's the closest my wife and I have ever come to arguing, when I pointed
out that she wasn't going to get her 09 civic sedan in there. Without doing a "batman
and robin" climb out the windows because you can't open the doors. ;-)

Old 01-14-2012, 04:51 PM

yea me and the wife have had that come up a few times. I think she gave up though :-)

Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM

gotcbr, those are some pretty nice stands

Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adiopunki7
gotcbr, those are some pretty nice stands
Originally Posted by donnygeewebb
...I will probably buy those pit bulls later! Those things look so solid.
Thanks. That's a good looking & very handy rafter-rig you've got going there as well. I know others that do the same.

Yeah, in my old age ;-), I've finally learned to just spend the money to get the right tool for the job...that 'buy once - use forever' idea. That's not to say that other stands won't get the job done. However, I know these will for sure...you can't buy better. The best thing about them is, having multiple bikes in my garage, I can use the same stands w/ any bike.

A great way to store them is to put up a ladder hook on your garage wall & hang 'em up outta the way.

Nothing wrong w/ using what you have, afford, or rig up. Whatever works best, by all means. Just be safe to prevent injury to yourself or damage to your bike.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Did you say small garage?...
Nothing wrong w/ that...looks like a workin' man's garage to me!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by adiopunki7
Yea I hear ya. If you ever buy a place though I recommend the rafter hang. It costs like 20 bucks max to do and makes it easy to lift. I just like it because I don't have to find a place to store stands. Small garage....
Audio you're gonna have to show me a how to on that rafter set up ;-). My parents are moving into the house were building behind ours that were in now and I get to keep the old **** sounds like a good deal to me and we also have a very small garage. So the girlfriends car wont be in there lol

Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 PM

Nice, very good deal. Here's my masterpiece.

DISCLAIMER: Will not be held responsible if you don't check for electrical lines before drilling through the ceiling!

You need:

2 eyelet bolts with at least 2 inch diameter washers. Measure your ceiling thickness to determine the length of the bolts you need. Do not forget the washers as safety is a concern if the nuts start pulling through the wood.

box of the longest drywall screws you can get.

at least a 10 foot 2x4 (approximately 2 feet will be chopped off for the outer support)

A really long drill bit. enough to drill through the entire setup big enough in diameter to fit the eyelet bolts.

and enough straps.

I only did one to lift the rear or front for now. if you do both than buy 4 eyelet bolts/washers and 2 2x4s

DONT FORGET TO LOOK FOR ELECTRICAL LINES BEFORE DRILLING THE EYELET BOLT HOLES!

I found it easier to setup the top (attic) 2x4 and have it secured before drilling the eyelet bolt holes downward. Than made sure my outer support (the one in the garage) covered the holes and was secured. Than drill again. Prevented hole alignment problems and headaches.

Setup like this \/

Name:  Ceilingrafterhang.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  37.5 KB

Me and my bike can hang from this at the same time and it doesn't even creak..

Let me know if you have any questions or comments or if I forgot anything that might be important.

Last edited by adiopunki7; 01-15-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: screwed up
Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice Adiopunk! Pretty well engineered. The only thing I'd change is, to go with a
2x6 for the attic-side. You don't say what size on the eyebolts, so I'll just mention,
at least a 3/8" eyebolt. Don't go cheaper, 1/4 inch could unfold. If you want to be
Mambo, get a 3 foot piece of 3/8 all-thread, bend it into a giant staple and bolt that
between the 2/6 and ceiling plate. That might even be cheaper than an eyebolt.
Won't swear to that, though. Anyway, just wanted to add 2 cents to the discussion.

Ern

Quick Reply: How do you guys lift your bikes?!?!