F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How do you guys lift your bikes?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you guys lift your bikes?!?!

Alright, so this issue is really beginning to **** me off. I barrowed my buddies swing arm stands and the front doesn't hold it up right and the rear doesnt have a bolt!!! WHERE can I find a stand for the front lol I've already dropped it twice!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

if you dont have spools for a stand, you need to get the paddle type for the rear.
for the front, they have stands that lift by the bottom triple clamp. those dont work with all bikes. they also have ones that go under the forks, but those are only good for cleaning and removing the front tire. if you intend on doing fork work, your best bet is to put a strong hook in the ceiling and hanging the front by the frame.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 PM

I'm new to street bikes but from reading here and research elsewhere I found these stands to be a good deal Front Triple Tree & Rear, look for the one's that are listed compatible w/ the f4i. They allow you to lift the rear w/o spools and also lift the front from the triple tree. I got a set and they work well for lifting the front and rear, the only issue I've read about them is the paint may chip off the them, but they're nearly half the price of other stands so who cares. If your new to this to keep in mind when lifting the bike leave the kickstand down, lift the rear first, then the front. When setting down the bike make sure the kickstand is down and set down the front first then the rear. It also helps to have an extra pair of hands to stabilize the bike if your not used to doing it.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:36 PM

i`ve used a car trolly jack and a block of wood between the jack and the rear of the engine where it looks like a centre stand is ment to go works ok for quick repairs i also have a universal type stand and find it useless, rather use my jack.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I was doing some research last night and FINALLY found something I could lift my bike with. Heres the link Its a universal so it should lift just about any bike. And they'e super cheap! Idk what that means about its quality but ill sure let you all know when I get it. I need something fast lol my bike is just chillin on the headers and its making me feel uneasy lol

Old 01-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My go-to stands are Pitbull. I use this one for the front...Pit Bull Motorcycle Stands & Accessories: Forklift Front Stand. For lifting by the lower triple to do fork service work, I attach the forklift converter...Pit Bull Motorcycle Stands & Accessories: Forklift Converter.

The front stand w/ the forklift converter gives all the clearance needed to remove the fork tubes. No need to find a tree, lift w/a car jack by the headers, or rig up any ceiling rafter lift. To me, the added cost of a quality front triple lift stand more than makes up for all the hassle of having to rig up something else that may or may not work safely.

For the rear, I use this one...http://www.pit-bull.com/mm5/merchant...de=rear_stands works as either spooled or standard.

W/ this pair of stands, I can work on any bike in my garage.

Here's a pic of my F4 on Pitbulls...

Name:  P1040072-3.jpg
Views: 4180
Size:  141.5 KB

Had someone on another thread argue that the fork tubes couldn't be removed using the Pitbull triple stand...so here's the pics to show the removal of the fork tubes to prove that they remove easily. There's no clearance issues whatsoever. Personally, I wouldn't do it any other way unless I absolutely had to. The bike stays rock solid on the Pitbulls at all times, no worries for tip-overs or other accidents.

Name:  P1040135.jpg
Views: 2629
Size:  99.1 KB

I've heard good thing about T-rex stands. I have a pair of Kyle Racing stands that are very sturdy & similar to the T-rex. They work just fine & are also quality but not made front the same gauge tubing or construction as the Pitbull's.

Hope whatever stands you end up getting work well for you. Always lift carefully & have a buddy standing by to help if you need it. Good luck.

Last edited by gotcbr; 01-14-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, just can't remove the tripple-trees, is the only short-coming of a front stand.

I use a combination of rear-stand and/or a hydralic lift under the engine to do all of
my lifting chores. I have also heard of suspending the bike off the ceiling rafters with
strap-downs.

Ern

Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Actually, just can't remove the tripple-trees, is the only short-coming of a front stand.

I use a combination of rear-stand and/or a hydralic lift under the engine to do all of
my lifting chores. I have also heard of suspending the bike off the ceiling rafters with
strap-downs.

Ern
Agreed. I wasn't talking about removing triples - just lifting the front/back end & removing front wheel & forks. ;-) Obviously, to do more extensive work like complete front end removal, other accommodations are necessary. For that, by all means, use whatever is necessary to lift frame...whether that's rafters, or whatever. I prefer an auto engine hoist/lift for that chore. Makes it easy to position to lift bike by frame.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:17 PM

I hang mine from the rafters. Ive only done the rear but i will be putting the front up here soon. I added an 8 footer under my attic floor for added support, and a small one (pictured) to keep the eyelet bolts from pulling against the drywall. Works awsome.

Name:  2012-01-14_16-10-54_328.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  2012-01-14_16-11-01_542.jpg
Views: 2397
Size:  19.6 KB

Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 PM

I really like the idea of using the rafters but because of my parents (im only 18) I can't do so lol so im just gonna have to go the cheap route with the stands i found and I will probably buy those pit bulls later! Those things look so solid.

Quick Reply: How do you guys lift your bikes?!?!