F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How to align your forks?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to align your forks?

So as some know, I lowsided about a month ago and got some scuffed fairings and a bruised ego. I went down on the left side in the canyons. After about a month of normal riding I started to notice that my handle bars kind of sway when I'm doing low speed turns such as turning in a parking lot, or doing a slight bend in a neighborhood. It sways enough so that I kind of jerk thinking that my bike is about to slide out from under me at times. It only does it at low speeds though, at higher speeds I can change lanes and turn just fine. But once it gets down to 1st or 2nd gear maneuvers it feels a little weird, and almost like my handle bars move on their own at times..

I might just be paranoid.. but I just want to be safe here.

So I'm thinking my forks may have been misaligned when I lowsided, and am wondering how I would re-align them if they did.. would I have to loosen up my triple clamps and just bump things around? Or how does that actually work. Or if anyone has any suggestions on anything else that may have happened that'd be great.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need to suspend the front with a triple tree stand or a rope wrapped around the ceiling or something. You have the right idea, if the forks got tweaked in the low side you should just be able to loosen the clamps and everything should realign. If not, you may have bent something. I had bent forks at one point and I could tell because my tires wore off center. It took forever to actually figure out they were bent because it wasn't obvious by looking at the forks.

Good luck.