F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

out of align steering?! how?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default out of align steering?! how?

Ok, So i took bike to shop to replace a valve steam...instead the idiots decided to put a new tire on but NOT replace the valve steam...so after a night talk with them they decided the tire was free and they replaced the valve steam 3 days later...I just got the bike back and notice that now the top triple tree and handle bars are way off...To go straight i have to have the steering of the right ALOT!....How the HELL does a shop screw up alignment by replacing a tire and valve steam!! So my question to you fine folks is how do I fix this?

P.S. Never will I pay any shop in memphis to touch my bike every again! this is strike 3 from 2 different shops.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing to do is inspect your forks to see how straight they are. If that's all good, just loosen up the clamping bolts that hold on your clip ons and straighten them out. They should technically lock into the top triple so you don't have to measure anything.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 PM

OK, Just finished taking the tire and axle completely and reinstalled everything.....Still out of alignment....I am starting to think the axle is bent? Also I am using fork lifts....should I use another method to do this? Like hanging from a ceiling or something to remove all weight off the forks?

Would a bent axle cause the alignment off?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM

If you had a bent axle, your wheel wouldn't spin freely when suspended. Are the forks straight? Try posting up some pictures showing how it's out of alignment.

Easy way to do it is if you have frame sliders, lift up the bike with the fork stand, put jack stands under the frame sliders then remove fork stand and you should have the forks uncompressed.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Will update tomorrow when I have daylight. Forks look straight...I'm sure the shop would of said something. It's odd my alignment was perfect before new tire and shop but after the shop and new tire its off.

The tire point left by 20 to 25 degrees when I have the top triple tree lined up even.

I am going to place a jack under the bike tomorrow and try to reloosen the pinch and axle bolts again. Tire does spin freely..Yes spacers are on and correct...There is no play in the tire bearings.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Just confirmed that the forks appear straight from top to bottom. I see no evidence of bends. Forks look perfect...no leaks/busted seals or scrap marks. So I guess I'll report tomorrow once I loosen the top and bottom pinch bolts on the triple tree. I'm starting to think the shop might have hit something hard twisting the upper and lower triple tree causing the misalignment.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:02 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Why wasen't this brought up with the shop when you picked up the bike? From what your describing this isen't some little, easy to miss thing...

Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM

I'm not quite getting this, if the forks are straight, the triples are aligned and the axle is good, how is the alignment off? Are you sure it's not just your clip ons cocked at a weird angle?

Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 PM

Positive is it not the clip ons.

Checked the forms today. They are good.

Axle has to be fine because the wheel spins freely and I can pull the axle in and out of the fork clap and wheel hub without any binding.

I am starting to think that my top triple somehow became crooked?

I have a center stand I am borrowing this weekend and will pull the whole front end off piece by piece. While I am at it this gives me the chance to replace head bearings with ALL ***** bearings and replace the wheel bearings also.

I will update in a few days about what caused this issue and how I fix it.

I am still boggled on how the alignment and bars are 100% centered before I drop it off at a shop for new tires but after the shop is is 20 degrees off to the left with the bar centered.
I've talked to the shop and they are refusing to fix it...saying they did nothing except remove the front tire only.

Makes no sense how this happened..I did not drop the bike nor did I hit any pot holes or bumps.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I'd take it back, but first I'd try loosen the axle bolts and bouncing the front end jus to try line everything back up. Good luck with it anyway I know how you feel paying someone to work on your bike, it always comes back with problems.

Last edited by RedBaron; 04-25-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Quick Reply: out of align steering?! how?