F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Highbeams on at Night?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats illeagal and safe r two diffrent things to me at least, i want to been seen all the time, and if u dont have ur brights on ur gonna get pulled over for what looks like a head light out any way, not too many cops know whats up on the bikes, and also i coverd my dash light with a piece of black electrical tape so when i pass truckers and they look down my brights dont look like there on, so be safe and be seen!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by jdizzelwht/red01
whats illeagal and safe r two diffrent things to me at least, i want to been seen all the time, and if u dont have ur brights on ur gonna get pulled over for what looks like a head light out any way, not too many cops know whats up on the bikes, and also i coverd my dash light with a piece of black electrical tape so when i pass truckers and they look down my brights dont look like there on, so be safe and be seen!
Sorry but that's a load of crap. You aren't going to get pulled over on a motorcycle if one of your headlights is not lit up. If you do, that officer is a moron and is simply wasting your time. Police will pull a motorcycle over if they have NO headlights on.

You should only drive with your high beams on at night or when it's dark if there is no oncoming traffic or traffic in front of you. It's common sense.

Can you think of how many times you've been driving in your car and were annoyed by someone with their high beams on? Don't be that guy.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I think the first reply in this post was the correct answer.
Use common sense.
Put yourself in the position of an oncoming car driver. Would you be able to concentrate on the road in front of you safely if some jerk on a bike has his HIDs on high beam pointing straight in your retinas?
All of you who say you ride with high beam on all the time are seriously whacked and to date yo've just been plain lucky no one's driven into you, because they can't see a damned thing other than your blinding lights.
Get real... and while you're at it have some consideration for other road users. No one likes, nor deserves to be blinded. It's not necessary at any time, period!
You're just being lazy with the dip switch. Learn to use it please.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:26 PM

USE COMMON SENSE GUYS! ur right! and do what ever makes YOU SAFE!
and dont be a d ick head.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 PM

i was only using brights because i know from experience as a car driver, when i see a single headlight (no highs on) approaching in my rearview mirror....i can never tell what the hell it is, if it's a bike or a car with one headlight, or where it might swerve to. when i see brights in my rearview mirror, i can automatically tell its a bike so i either slow down for them to go around me or get the hell out of their way.
that's why i used brights...because FROM EXPERIENCE, i saw it was easier to notice them on the highway.
but there were a lot of good tips here though. thank you fellas. now, i will just go with HID in my lows which i'm sure will be a lot better than running highs

Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
Sorry but that's a load of crap. You aren't going to get pulled over on a motorcycle if one of your headlights is not lit up. If you do, that officer is a moron and is simply wasting your time. Police will pull a motorcycle over if they have NO headlights on.

You should only drive with your high beams on at night or when it's dark if there is no oncoming traffic or traffic in front of you. It's common sense.

Can you think of how many times you've been driving in your car and were annoyed by someone with their high beams on? Don't be that guy.

Agree 100%

Originally Posted by HenryM
I think the first reply in this post was the correct answer.
Use common sense.
Put yourself in the position of an oncoming car driver. Would you be able to concentrate on the road in front of you safely if some jerk on a bike has his HIDs on high beam pointing straight in your retinas?
All of you who say you ride with high beam on all the time are seriously whacked and to date yo've just been plain lucky no one's driven into you, because they can't see a damned thing other than your blinding lights.
Get real... and while you're at it have some consideration for other road users. No one likes, nor deserves to be blinded. It's not necessary at any time, period!
You're just being lazy with the dip switch. Learn to use it please.

Agree 100%

Originally Posted by greenc51
i was only using brights because i know from experience as a car driver, when i see a single headlight (no highs on) approaching in my rearview mirror....i can never tell what the hell it is, if it's a bike or a car with one headlight, or where it might swerve to. when i see brights in my rearview mirror, i can automatically tell its a bike so i either slow down for them to go around me or get the hell out of their way.
that's why i used brights...because FROM EXPERIENCE, i saw it was easier to notice them on the highway.
but there were a lot of good tips here though. thank you fellas. now, i will just go with HID in my lows which i'm sure will be a lot better than running highs

You do realize not all bikes have dual headlights don't you? And it's not just bikes of today, heck, back in the day even the CBR had only 1 light.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greenc51
I've heard that the Honda engineers designed the dual headlight system to only light up one side when on low beam because drivers could mistake two lights side-by-side as a car much further away and possibly make a turn or switch lanes right in front of the bike.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:41 AM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use common sense. Alot of times when i see a slowing car about to turn or turning out of a street ill flash my highbeam a couple times just to say "hey im here".... Remember lights are the only thing they can see bcuz a bike is so small

Old 07-30-2011, 05:19 PM

Even if it isn't illegal, its very unsafe.

Just think of it like this, you are driving at a car head on at (x) amount of speed, and he now is blinded by your headlights. Seem like a good ideal?

Also I was a truck driver for 4 years and held a class A cdl, and threw the training they gave, they thought us that drunk's at night tend to chase lights. Thats why so many drunks hit people head on and also run right into the back of a parked car with the lights on. So adding more light might not be a good choice in that aspect either.

Also studies have shown that 1 out of every 10 cars you see on the road is likely to be under the influence of some kind of drug or alcohol.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jveach
Also studies have shown that 1 out of every 10 cars you see on the road is likely to be under the influence of some kind of drug or alcohol.
interesting fact

Quick Reply: Highbeams on at Night?