F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics

What AWG (gauge) is the wiring in the headlamp harness?
I would check before installing a 30A fuse. It should be at least #10AWG.
Otherwise the wire will burn before the fuse has a chance to fail.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:14 PM

This got me thinking... if someone wanted an effective low/high beam style setup, couldnt they get say two motorcycle kits? One@12,000 for low beam and another@5,000 for high beam? I know the colors won't match, but would it be that big of a brithtness difference? I personally will opt for the 5000s when I can scrounge the cash, but i thought maybe someone might want to try that.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:06 PM

Ill try to get some pics wensday(my day off).
I still run the stock headlight fuse with no issues.
I got the automotive kit so its cheaper ,plus twin 5k lighting is just plain BRIGHT..I can give a$$ holes a tan if they cut me off.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:49 PM
July 2008 ROTM

8,000K is the best kit to get if you want lots of color with brighter light output than halogens. 10,000K is okay, but has more color, and has probably about the same light output as a halogen, just in a swell blue color. Anything above that and it's pretty much just for show, and not recommended for anyone who rides their bike at night a lot.

And if people are blowing fuses because their HID kit is on when the key is turned, that's just redonkulous. That's pulling way more power than necessary.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: white99gt

I got the automotive kit so its cheaper ,plus twin 5k lighting is just plain BRIGHT..I can give a$$ holes a tan if they cut me off.
If you could that would be great. And another question, does the ballast get hot to the point where you can't have anything touching it? I'm thinking of sticking the ignitor on it somewhere to keep them both in the same area.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 PM

ORIGINAL: whtan20

If you could that would be great. And another question, does the ballast get hot to the point where you can't have anything touching it? I'm thinking of sticking the ignitor on it somewhere to keep them both in the same area.
Not that i can tell.Mine are actually bolted together (one on top of the other) and velcroed to the nose shelf.My ignitors are under the front edge of the windscreen.That way there is no clutter and everything fits like it should.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: whtan20

Not that i can tell.Mine are actually bolted together (one on top of the other) and velcroed to the nose shelf.My ignitors are under the front edge of the windscreen.That way there is no clutter and everything fits like it should.

How did you arrange the wires? Mines are all over the place, i tried electrical taping them and used zip ties but that just made them less flexible.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:47 PM

I just installed the 6000K HID super slim ballast system, of course I had no idea it would be so much wiring with a separate ignitor. I wonder if the regular ballast would have been more managable. I managed to fit everything in the nose with some zip ties and some adhesive. I know it's secure because I crashed and it didn't budge lol. But yeah, it is BRIGHT! It also has a nice blue tint without being super blue, and I recommend it. I may have to aim the hi-beam lower so I don't blind oncoming traffic.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM

^Yeah, i think the ballast with the ignitor built in would have been better, because there's just too much wire plus the seperate ignitor component to fit somewhere.

socalninja do you think you can take a pic of where u placed the ballast, like the nose area? would help me a bit

Old 12-05-2007, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: socalninja

I just installed the 6000K HID super slim ballast system, of course I had no idea it would be so much wiring with a separate ignitor. I wonder if the regular ballast would have been more managable. I managed to fit everything in the nose with some zip ties and some adhesive. I know it's secure because I crashed and it didn't budge lol. But yeah, it is BRIGHT! It also has a nice blue tint without being super blue, and I recommend it. I may have to aim the hi-beam lower so I don't blind oncoming traffic.
Also, where did you buy the super slim ballast system?

And for anyone else... When you install an HID kit for both lights, do you have to have both lights on at all times or does it retain the 1 daytime running light (low-beam)?

Quick Reply: HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics