F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics

A few weeks ago, my low beam blew. So I started looking into HIDs. Blue Fox talked me into getting the kits that he buys. They're a STEAL at 97.99 for TWO bulbs and ballasts!!

Well, I installed them. Wiring it all up was SUPER easy -- pretty much plug and play! Here's some simple directions for the F4i. Most of it can be applied to other bikes, too. I'm really sorry I don't have any pictures -- My digital camera seems to have died on me:

1. Install a 30A mini fuse into the H. Light fuse part of the fuse box. You can get this at any major auto parts store. They're dirt cheap. You shouldn't have to pay more than $2 for one. This fuse is going to replace the headlight fuse in your fuse box under your front seat next to your battery. Take out the old 10A fuse and install the 30A. You need to do this because otherwise you'll blow the fuse as soon as your headlights turn on, and you'll be scratching your head as to why it won't work right.

2. Take out the stock bulbs. To do this, you have to remove the air intake duct covers on both sides of the bike. It isn't necessary to remove the fairings (at least it wasn't for me), but it does make the whole job a little easier. When you get the duct covers off, pull off the rubber water/dust cover on the headlamp. It's kind of attached to the light fixture, so you can only pull it back off just a little bit (for now). After that, you'll see a metal tensioner that holds the bulb and part of the light fixture in place. To disconnect it, push in on the left side of the lower tensioner and push up -- that will release it. After that, you pretty much just have to wiggle it until the whole thing comes out.

3. Remove the Resonator Chamber. The resonator chamber is a little triangluar box that is attached to the air intake ducts via a small rubber grommet. The purpose of the resonator chamber is to make air intake quieter. It is not going to negatively affect the performance of the motorcycle (if anyone knows for sure that I am incorrect, PLEASE SAY SO). Remove the resonator chamber and the rubber grommet from the air duct. Then clean the top of the air duct with some all purpose cleaner, and tape the hole down with some duct tape or something. This space is going to be used to mount the ballasts for your HID lamps.

4. Remove the rubber dust cover from the OEM light fixture. This is simple to do, but it requires a little bit of muscle. Don't be afraid to break anything, because its pretty tough to. Even if you do, you're not likely to break anything you'll use again, anyway. All you have to do is remove the lamp from the fixture and put it away in a safe place. Then, you'll see the fixture stuck to the headlight harness, with the dust cover sandwiched in between them both. Basically, just pull the fixture really hard until it comes off the harness. That's all! After you get it off, set the light fixture off to the side. I kept it with the stock bulb. You'll need that fixture in case you ever want to go back to the stock setup (though I don't know why you would!).

5. Place the new bulb in the headlamp housing. ***DO NOT TOUCH THE HEADLAMP*** This is also very simple to do. However, if you just stick it in there without anything to hold it, the headlamp will wiggle in place -- and you don't want any more vibration than is necessary to put up with. So here's what I did: My headlamps came with a little foam dust cover. Its circular, about an inch and a half in diamater, and a little less than half an inch thick. Just slide that onto the back side of the headlamp, using it as a spacer, and lock the tensioner down tight! It won't interfere with anything. If your lamps didn't come with one, then think of something else you can use as a spacer.

6. [b]Put the rubber dust cover back onto the headlamp ho

Old 08-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Default RE: HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics

What kind did you get? The H7? or what? and also 5000, 6000, or did you go with the 10,000?

Does it really make that big of a difference?

Also, was it worth losing the high beams?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:04 PM

H7, and HID's are definately worth it. It wont make you disappointed after you get them. I have the 10,000K in mine, and I'm pleased with them.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:26 PM

here is what i did

https://cbrforum.com/m_348346/tm.htm

i use the stock 10a fuse. my fuse blows if i have the highs on when i turn on the bike key, if i let the lows warm up then switch to highs (about 1 minute which is less than i let the big warm up to 130 degrees anyways) then i have no problems. just always have a spare fuse incase and keep a 10mm screwdriver handle socket to get under the seat... do it however u like, just my $.02

Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Users

hey yeah...which of those kits did you get and did you have to specify it was for a bike??? details on how to purchase please...

Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 PM

firemanron
What kind did you get? The H7? or what? and also 5000, 6000, or did you go with the 10,000?
Does it really make that big of a difference?
Also, was it worth losing the high beams?
1. I got the 5000k. 4300k is closest to natural light, and it puts out the most light usable by your eye. However, this seller doesn't sell 4300k, so I went with the 5000k (k = kelvin = what temperature the light is -- NOT how bright it is). The further up in kelvin you go, the cooler it may look, but the less usable light you'll get from the lamps. My personal suggestion is go with the most usable light possible. But do as your little heart desires
2. HUGE HUGE HUGE GIGANTIC OMFG AMAZING DIFFERENCE!!!! Just the low beam is probably about 2x brighter than the stock high and low beams combined. That's no exaggeration. And then with the high beam on too, I can't express how insanely bright everything is compared to stock.
3. I purchased the car kit. It came with 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts, and all the wires for everything. DO NOT purchase the motorcycle kit if you want to install HID lamps in both housings on your bike. The motorcycle kit only comes with 1 bulb, ballast, and set of wires. That is the only difference (Info from blue fox). So, I actually didn't lose the high beam. I have HID lamps in both high and low. But even if i did only install it in one bulb, its still a world of difference. I can see twice the road in front of me and probably 3 times the road for the sides. It'll be great to spot deer with. Just in case.

ffingers
hey yeah...which of those kits did you get and did you have to specify it was for a bike??? details on how to purchase please...
Again, I got the 5000k H7 kit. Its a generic kit, so you don't have to specify anything. To purchase, you need ebay and paypal accounts. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 AM

would you mind posting the site where you bought yours? or even what you typed in ebay's search engine? for that price... **** i'll buy one right now!

thanks...

Old 08-13-2007, 07:38 AM

There's like six links in there! how many do you all need?!!! :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H7-50...7907QQtcZphoto
That is the exact one i bought.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:13 AM

you purchased the 5,000 k, why not go ahead and get the 10,000? especially for someone like myself, that likes the blue color of the higher Kelvin bulbs? can you explain that. thanks.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 AM

I have 10,000K, the only thing that the color temperature of the light refers to is the color it outputs, it has nothing to do with brightness. In fact I think the lower the kelvin the higher the lumens. Also I'm running a 12a fuse, I think? or a 15a? whatever it comes in lol. I know I changed out the 10 because I'd keep blowing them and it was pissing me off.

Quick Reply: HIDs on the F4i in 10 easy steps (sorry no pics