F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

hid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hid question

ok so the hid's have been great so far but tonight they started acting up slightly... i startem on low, let it idle/ride a bit before i turn on to high just like everyone recomends. 75% of the time the hi will kick right but others it will take a few trys..lately it seems like the high isnt kicking on as frequently as it used to. not really a big deal at all. however while night riding tonight, my high beam suddenly shut off mid-ride and than it happened once on the ride home as well...it turns right back on after a quick click from low to high again...anyone know what the problem could be? this is a problem that i dont want to just "deal" with so if anyones got suggestions thatd be great.

i havn't done any type of fuse upgrade...only plugged the kit in and used it. i doubt a loose wire could be the cause and im dreading hearing the "sounds like the bulb is going" reply

lemme know,
thanks

Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 AM

End of life
At the end of life, many types of high-intensity discharge lamps exhibit a phenomenon known as cycling. These lamps can be started at a relatively low voltage. As they heat up during operation, however, the internal gas pressure within the arc tube rises and a higher voltage is required to maintain the arc discharge. As a lamp gets older, the voltage necessary to maintain the arc eventually rises to exceed the voltage provided by the electrical ballast. As the lamp heats to this point, the arc fails and the lamp goes out. Eventually, with the arc extinguished, the lamp cools down again, the gas pressure in the arc tube is reduced, and the ballast can once again cause the arc to strike. The effect of this is that the lamp glows for a while and then goes out, repeatedly.
More sophisticated ballast designs detect cycling and give up attempting to start the lamp after a few cycles. If power is removed and reapplied, the ballast will make a new series of startup attempts.

This is from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...discharge_lamp

Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 AM

Hey guys, I've had my HID's for about a year now. They've always been working great and I always leave my low beam on when first starting the bike. After a minute or so of riding, I turn on the high beam and it works fine.

I've noticed now that when I start my bike with low beam on, my low beam starts to flicker and I have to rev the engine to get more power going to it. It'll stay on good from that point on. However, when I turn on my high beam like usual after riding for a bit, it'll work fine. Sometimes, I go to a stop at a stop light and then my high beam starts to flicker and I have to rev a little to keep it bright.

Is this happening now and not before because I may need a new battery now? My battery can't hold as much power as before to be able to sustain enough power to keep the HID's on?

That's my guess but others with more knowledge could be more useful

Old 05-30-2008, 03:27 AM

^Upon first startup your HID's need to "warm-up" that's why when you've started riding and turn the high beam on it wont have that problem.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:53 AM

if the bulb is reaching "end of life" after only a month im going to be pretty pissed. i always start with the low then click to high after some time...why the F would they be going already

Old 05-30-2008, 11:11 AM

i think it is your battery tbh...
... if they flicker when you idle

Old 05-30-2008, 12:44 PM

You guys should check out this thread about delaying the low beam from coming on till after the engine is running.

https://cbrforum.com/m_575454/tm.htm