F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HELP! Weird Problem! Electrical??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Weird Problem! Electrical??

Anyone have this problem with their 2003 F4i? The speedometer and all indicators on it wont work nor will the tachometer. Bike will either stall if your riding when it happens and if it does it will not start back up. Now I put the key in the ignition turn it on, it then makes that little noise that it is supposed like its cycles through the speed and rpm's even though visually you see nothing happening. You try to press the button to ignite the engine and the light dims for a second and either absolutely nothing happens OR sometimes it makes a rappid fire noise near the rear tire!

I got it towed ****in twice in the last 2 weeks first time they got it to work by tightening the battery cables at least they claimed, andtodayI got it back they said they put a brand new battery in. I rode the bike for about 75 miles and it happened again. Only this time before it started to happen it showed the reserve fuel was at 4/4ths fuel but I just put like$8 in gas in it just like 25 miles ago which I thought was weird.

I knowthis was a long email but just wanted togive you ALL the facts I could to get a accurate answer!

Anyone that hashadthis problem please reply! Thanks
________
Silvie live

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Default RE: HELP! Weird Problem! Electrical??

As I mentioned in my post this has happened twice. The 2nd time it happened I smelled something kinda like it was burning for a minute while I was doing like 70mph so it had to come from the front of the bike for me to smell it at that speed.
________
RocknRollMe live

Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 AM

Alright, i'll just run throug some of the things it MIGHT be.

- for starters, your "losing the guages and bike cutting out problem" sounds like the main plug that goes to the guages. if that rattles loose, it cuts the fuel pump out and your not going to go anywhere. it is located kind of neer the ram air cover on the LEFT side of the bike if you are sitting on it.

as for the not holding a charge thing. I had a similar issue... i replaced the battery, and it was a faulty new battery, and it works perfect after replacing the faulty replacement. some of the other things it could be are the stator and i belive the rectifier. (takes the place of the alternator on a bike) do a search for those two items on this forum and you can gedt a better description as to how they work and which one may be bad..

good luck

Old 08-17-2008, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the reply man! But last night when it happened for the 2nd time when the guages cut out I was still able to drive the bike a couple blocks before I manually shut it off. Then after that it would not start back up. I let it rest the whole night and it started up in the morning today?????????????? what the **** is going on???????
________
Vapolution vaporizer

Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 PM

sounds more like the rectifier/ stator. like i said before, that is the charging system for the bike. i don;t know what to tell you about the guages though, the only problem i know of is that plug. happened to me once when i had it apart and tried to start it before re-assemble. i'm no expert, so i don;t know what to tell you