F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HELP!!! was running now wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! was running now wont start!

yes another wont start forum. yes i searched and tried what i found and nop luck. okay so basiclly my buddy laid my bike down and havent heard from him sense. no major damage. okay sooo... the bike started just fine ran for 10 min i shut it off to check oil level. which is fine then it wouldnt start again. i checked the tip over senser, works fine i even unplugged it and then no fuel pump at all. so i plugged it back in. battery is good, starter is good and both are getting the right voltage. checked all the fuses which were all good, checked kickstand wires tried starting it with kickstand up and down, check clutch safty wires all good, its in Neutral, even tried it in gear. its got good fresh fuel, its getting fuel at the injetors as i pulled the rail off and watched them work, it has spark at all the plugs, i checked compresson and it was alsome! soo... WTF!?!?!?! why wont it start? the FI light isnt flashing any codes, the only thing i can think is maybe some other sensor.... i am a mechanic of 6 years and im to the point i have nothing left i can think of to try... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

EDIT: sorry it is a 2002 F4I Cali edition, it has 24,000 miles on it it has been very babied!!!! had all oil changed at 3k with K&N filter and syn oil, it has had new plugs at 20k, new plug boots and springs, coolant was changed to BE COOL at 12,000. clutch was replaced when i got it at 5k miles because the first owner has just put syn fluid in with kevlar clutch so all it did was slip.

Last edited by demon87; 07-03-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:02 AM

okay sorry i was having the other half check the plug while i cranked it.. NO SPARK!!!! i checked the ignition pluse generator and its getiing around .7-.9 on average never dropping below .7 which is all in spec. I checked for codes and none. i jumped the Bank Angle Sensor and still no spark. it is getting fuel but no spark. any ideas on what would cause this?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

R/R?

Old 07-04-2012, 02:29 AM

just trying to narrow it down seeing as i am broke. i dont think the rec would randomly stop working in a 2 min time frame, and shouldnt the bike atleast start? okay so i also just checked the wires to the plugs with the key and engine stop ON i get the battery voltage of 12.7 volts but when i crank it it drops to below 11.... what does this mean? i know its suppose to jump to around 100v not drop. maybe ill have to check the kit stand again as thats what the manuel says but shouldnt the bike still start if the stand is up or down? i know it wont go in gear unless the stand is up.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by demon87
just trying to narrow it down seeing as i am broke. i dont think the rec would randomly stop working in a 2 min time frame, and shouldnt the bike atleast start? okay so i also just checked the wires to the plugs with the key and engine stop ON i get the battery voltage of 12.7 volts but when i crank it it drops to below 11.... what does this mean? i know its suppose to jump to around 100v not drop. maybe ill have to check the kit stand again as thats what the manuel says but shouldnt the bike still start if the stand is up or down? i know it wont go in gear unless the stand is up.
battery voltage should be fine at 12.7 but amps are what you really need to look at. either way the bike should have spark as long as the motor is cranking good. if you jumped out the bas and you still hear the fuel pump priming when you turn on the key(should prime for 2 seconds and then stop)then that is ok. there is a diode in the ignition called a zener diode, not listed ANYWHERE in the manual, its the antitheft device for the bike. its the pink wire in the key base. that wire should have between 7-9 volts, any more and the diode is fried. check back to my post about 4 weeks ago, it covers most everything you will need to troubleshoot your problem. the main thing is if you have the key and kill switch on and the fuel pump primes that means the bas and diode are good, then i would check the kickstand. you can un-plug it and jump it out also, good luck

Old 07-04-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by squidhead
battery voltage should be fine at 12.7 but amps are what you really need to look at. either way the bike should have spark as long as the motor is cranking good. if you jumped out the bas and you still hear the fuel pump priming when you turn on the key(should prime for 2 seconds and then stop)then that is ok. there is a diode in the ignition called a zener diode, not listed ANYWHERE in the manual, its the antitheft device for the bike. its the pink wire in the key base. that wire should have between 7-9 volts, any more and the diode is fried. check back to my post about 4 weeks ago, it covers most everything you will need to troubleshoot your problem. the main thing is if you have the key and kill switch on and the fuel pump primes that means the bas and diode are good, then i would check the kickstand. you can un-plug it and jump it out also, good luck
okay the pink is at 19.2 steadly with key and engine stop on, when i crank it it goes down to 15.2-.8. i will look for your post if i can find it lol

Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by demon87
okay the pink is at 19.2 steadly with key and engine stop on, when i crank it it goes down to 15.2-.8. i will look for your post if i can find it lol
something does not add up. you said that you have 12.7 ? or so from the battery. If that is the case there is no way you can have 19.2 on the pink wire! Unless it is with the bike running, and if so that might be a little high for the charging system. All said, if you do have any more than 9 volts on the small pink wire going out of the ignition base(key switch) then the diode is positively cooked which is the anti theft portion of the f4i and will not let the bike start by killing spark. If you find my thread it has most info you need, ot else do a search on pink wire, that will tell you ways to fix or replace the base. I bought an OEM for I think 40.00 at honda instead of putting a diode and resistor in but never used it. Check out your bike and if that is the problem see what your dealer wants for the part, if its more (some charge up to 70.00) maybe we can work something out, keep me posted, good luck