F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help with handlebar assembly, internal.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with handlebar assembly, internal.

Hey guys, I'm having some trouble mounting my bar ends. I ordered a new bar weight (the internal insert) and a couple of rubber rings and the end clips that keep the internal stuff in the bar from slipping out. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Could somebody kindly explain how it is supposed to fit together? I have all the correct parts according to the fiche I'm looking at and have assembled them in the order that they appear in the parts diagram. If I use the rubber ring (53106-mv9-000) on the bar weight on the throttle side I can't get it to go all the way in to the bar. If I leave it off there's too much room and it can be pulled out even when screwed down all the way. I'm at a loss.. I can upload pictures if necessary.

Thanks for any help!!

Old 09-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MattSD
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble mounting my bar ends. I ordered a new bar weight (the internal insert) and a couple of rubber rings and the end clips that keep the internal stuff in the bar from slipping out. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Could somebody kindly explain how it is supposed to fit together? I have all the correct parts according to the fiche I'm looking at and have assembled them in the order that they appear in the parts diagram. If I use the rubber ring (53106-mv9-000) on the bar weight on the throttle side I can't get it to go all the way in to the bar. If I leave it off there's too much room and it can be pulled out even when screwed down all the way. I'm at a loss.. I can upload pictures if necessary.

Thanks for any help!!
Y
You could try smearing a little grease on the rubbers and then using a different bolt than the one that holds the end weight, screw the bolt into the end of the insert and tap it in with a rubber mallet just enough so that the threaded end is below the level of the end of the handlebar. Now screw your bar end weight on being careful not to over tighten it! I did mine a couple of weeks ago investigating why I was getting so much hand-numbing vibration, but all looked ok, so I put it all back again. I read somewhere that the engine may be causing the vibration so further investigation needed!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 PM

I did this last year and one side went together easily with wd40. The other side I had to slide in as much as I could then bolt up the bar end and bar end screw. I had to hit it continually with a rubber mallet till the clip was in place. Could be some buildup or corrosion on the inside of the bar that is creating resistance.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by xtremef4i
I did this last year and one side went together easily with wd40. The other side I had to slide in as much as I could then bolt up the bar end and bar end screw. I had to hit it continually with a rubber mallet till the clip was in place. Could be some buildup or corrosion on the inside of the bar that is creating resistance.
Was that the throttle side by any chance?

Old 09-08-2013, 05:56 PM

If I remember correctly mine was clutch side

Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default assembly

The part you are talking about goes over over the cylindrical weight not up against it if that is by chance what you were trying to do. I have included a link to another thread and a pic for your help.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...t-help-109031/

Parts number 10 and 12 fit over number 8 before inserting in the bar.

Attached Thumbnails Help with handlebar assembly, internal.-cbr-bar-weight.jpg  

Last edited by Bryce Swartzwelder; 09-10-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bryce Swartzwelder
The part you are talking about goes over over the cylindrical weight not up against it if that is by chance what you were trying to do. I have included a link to another thread and a pic for your help.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...t-help-109031/

Parts number 10 and 12 fit over number 8 before inserting in the bar.
Hi Bryce! As far as I can tell all the parts are present and correct. The problem is on the clutch side I cannot remove the internal weight (no. 8 in the parts diagram). If I install the bar end I have to screw it down with a LOT of force. I've installed it nonetheless. On the throttle side the opposite is true. It seems to be a little too loose. The other day I had to re-tighten the screw that keeps the bar end in. Something is not quite right on both sides of the bike although all the parts are there and installed correctly. Maybe I need to start again with new clip ons.. Not something I really want to spend money on but I will if I have to.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Are you sure you handle bar isn't bent, even a little? It doesn't take much to do it and that would make it hard to install the weights.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Are you sure you handle bar isn't bent, even a little? It doesn't take much to do it and that would make it hard to install the weights.
That's what I was thinking. The throttle side is easy to slide the weight in and out of, if I install the bar end and pull on it (after releasing the retaining clip) it comes out fairly easy. The left (clutch side) seems to be jammed in there. I guess a bend in the bar could cause that, like you say.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you manage to pull the bar ends off again, roll them on a known flat surface. The other fellows here may well be right that you have bent ends. Remember if you get clip ons that the stock ones come with holes for the bar weights etc and new ones won't have holes drilled for any of that.

If the tube is bent there is only one real solution that is to replace it.

If it is a matter of loose threads, You could try using a little blue loctite on the loose one if you dare, but it might be a devil later in life. Teflon tape is about a dollar and you can add it to the threads in layers. I would add two or so layers to the screw threads and see if that helps keep things in place. Its easy to remove and won't seize anything up. You find it in the plumbing section of your hardware store. Automotive stores carry it as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with handlebar assembly, internal.