F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Handlebar Weight/Bar End Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar Weight/Bar End Replacement Help

Several years ago when I purchased my bike, the previous owner had either removed the bar ends, lost them, or whatever. Either way my bike has had none for the past 3+ years. So I had bought some Vortex bar end sliders. Months later, I'm getting around to installing them, but having some issues.

I want to take the logical process, so I'll start at the top. I have the model BE217K Vortex bar end sliders in the box. I am under the impression that these are the correct model.
Name:  0928091409-02.jpg
Views: 4882
Size:  62.8 KB

As you can see, the half circle cut appears to be approximately in the middle. However, on the handlebar end itself, the cut is far less than a half circle. You can also see where the bolt threads into which is another issue:
Name:  0925091524-00.jpg
Views: 6564
Size:  74.6 KB

When inserting the included hex bolt with the Vortex kit, it will not screw in more than 2 or so turns. After the bolt stops, when turned harder, I can feel the inner handlebar weight (number 8 on the parts fiche) start to turn. I cannot tell if this is because at one point this was cross-threaded by the previous owner, or if it is supposed to stop here.

Referencing the service manual and online parts fiche, it appears that I am possibly missing parts 10 and 11 which could account for the misalignment.

Service manual:
Name:  bar_ends.png
Views: 4733
Size:  284.8 KB

OEM Parts Fiche:
Name:  Handlebar-Top_Bridge.png
Views: 5901
Size:  72.5 KB

Considering the cost of 8, 10, and 11 I could justify simply purchasing new ones if need be. However, I am hoping this is not the case. Any help or knowledge on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Paul

Old 04-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the same on both sides? If so , you may be trying to put a standard (inch) bolt in a metric hole. Go go to the hardware store and get the proper size bolts. Or if the threads are damaged, then get the proper size tap and chase the threads (retap).

Old 04-17-2010, 01:14 AM
July 2010 ROTM

Mine do the feelng stripped thing. I thought they were fine. I'll try to get some pics for u or something. Remind me if I forget

Old 04-17-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Is it the same on both sides? If so , you may be trying to put a standard (inch) bolt in a metric hole. Go go to the hardware store and get the proper size bolts. Or if the threads are damaged, then get the proper size tap and chase the threads (retap).
I'm fairly sure it's a metric bolt, however I'll check when I can by threading it into a definite metric nut. Before I tap, I wanted to make sure that it wasn't specifically supposed to stop at a certain point if I was missing certain components of the handlebar weight assembly. However, there's a decent chance that the previous owner attempted with the wrong pitch bolt and caused thread damage. Thanks for the suggestions!

Originally Posted by vangill
Mine do the feelng stripped thing. I thought they were fine. I'll try to get some pics for u or something. Remind me if I forget
I'm going to see if there are damaged threads as mentioned above, however if you do happen to have pics, they would be appreciated. I'll say something if I don't see anything and I can't resolve this. Thanks!

-Paul

Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Well if you need to replace 'em, I got a set of clip-ons I can deliver for 25 bucks.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Well if you need to replace 'em, I got a set of clip-ons I can deliver for 25 bucks.
I may be interested in that then. What all do you have? Numbers 8, 10, 11, 12, and 13? And a bolt is able to thread all the way into it? I had to work all weekend, so I still haven't had a chance to go visit my bike and check the thread pitch on my bolt.

-Paul

Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 AM

I have the whole clip-on, one has the grip and weight on it, the other don't. I'm uploading a pic to my profile, go check it out.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like those threads may be stripped. Try threading the screw without the bar end so you can see what it's doing to the inner weight.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:09 PM

I personally don't have piece 11 in either side after I dropped my bike. On a rare occasion, the piece will get loose, and about a half turn of the screw fixes it.

As for swapping the part, have you talked to a dealer? I would just take the parts in that you have, ask them to try their "stock" screws, and if they work, you just need a different screw (They'll tell you the size), but if it doesn't, and repeats your problem, it's cross threaded, and I'd just replace part number 8. (getting the right sized screw if need be)

Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 AM

So I decided to start with Zero's suggestion and try a stock screw at my Honda dealer up here, and no dice. It had the same problem as the screw that came with the Vortex set of bar end sliders.

So I then figured as some of you had suggested early on that the threads were stripped, so I grabbed a 6mm tap set at Sears, and cleaned up the threads. It wasn't as smooth as I hoped since the inner bar weight started turning once too much torque was applied, but after working it a bit, I could feel it got past the bad threads. Apparently the guy I bought my bike from must not have known there is a difference between SAE and Metric.

Now the bar ends went right on as they should have a week ago.

Skooby, thanks for putting up the picture on your profile of your clipons, but I won't be needing them now. Hope it wasn't a hassle to do that for me.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Quick Reply: Handlebar Weight/Bar End Replacement Help