F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

help! fuel pump primes once in a while WTH!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! fuel pump primes once in a while WTH!

ok so the temp out side is like 45-50F.

I did not do anything to her BTW, these problems just happened

left my bike outside for a good 7 hours and came back to go home and she dont start.

so then i think that chain gunk got on the kick stand switch because she eventually started but once i put the kick stand up and put in in gear, it immediately shutoff, so i clean it the best I can.

try to start, no luck, still stuck where i am and I notice that the fuel pump is not priming. So i play with the ignition switch and it finally primes, starts up.

then shuts off, I turn the ignition again, i hear the prime and starts, let it idle and somehow make it home with out her shutting off.

but i am afraid of riding her thinking i may be stranded again.

what could it be please help me do some check ups.

I am looking to see if there are any codes and I am looking in the manual to jump the MIL plug so I can make the MIL light blink, but I can't even find the dang plug to jump, I pulled up the tank and everything, NO PLUG??!

I even followed the wiring diagram, and tried to follow the thick cables from the ECU to find the MIL plug and cant find it.

please help, I have a 04 F4i with the banana seat, so maybe the plug is in a different area?? and I have the 01-03 f4i manual.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 PM

if it has a problem it displays the code and the FI light stays on. while you have all that bodywork off you can check all the connections.
you could have a faulty fuel pump but it does sound like something is disrupting the natural flow of electronics.
the ECU and that plug you are looking for is under the seat above the battery tray, double make sure thats how you read the codes i thought it was for erasing them.
check your battery terminal connections, look for corrosion, and loose connections.

so you when you played with the ignition switch the lights were coming on but the fuel pump didnt prime?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Something that's pretty common on Honda's is the Engine Stop Switch on the right handlebar. If that switch is not working, it won't prime. You might check it out with a meter to see how it's working. The contacts in that switch are pretty easy to clean.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM

honestly, i was so off the day it happened i didnt think to look at the headlights. I dont remember it being off, but then again i dont remeber looking at them.

But has been raining a lot these days, and I noticed that there is a small gap between the top rim of the headlight and the fairing right where the BAS is, so maybe water got on the BAS connections causing my hard starts. I wish i checked the headlights, but i has not had that problem since that day.

Im prolly gonna stop riding when it rains heavy cause i dont wanna have to run into these issues. I ride in the heaviest of rain, not fun either cause the helmet fogs like crazy and no amount of honda spray polish or novus plastic polish can help.

Other that that, the engine cut off switch sounds like another problem contender too, maybe water got in there, causing it to keep shutting off. Ill take that off and dielectric grease the hell out of it.

Yall think chain gunk can cause the kick stand switch to be innoperable?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM

well if its not cranking in neutral its not related to your issue.
there was this 94 vulcan i was riding once and on hard rain's it would turn over but never fire.
i think part of the issue was that the water drain for the spark plug holes were clogged, and the ignition coils were shorting out.
now im not sure on that and i know water isnt a good conductor, but i think it may be enough to hinder your ignition system.
hopefully someone else can comment, im unsure if the bike turns over with no headlights and just doesn't fire, or if it does neither.