F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help!! Electrical Wiring Fried???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Electrical Wiring Fried???

Alright guys so today i was in the process of putting one of my F4i together. A harness popped open when i put the tank on. So i saw it and plugged it back in, It popped a fuse. So i replaced it popped it back in and then the fuse box started smoking. Now i don't even know what this thing is, but when the battery is low and its trying to start it clicks.

So this is what it is, its like a bell shaped thing, That yellow 20amp fuse, was replaced and and then plugged together the fuse box started smoking

This black box thing next to the fuses in the fuse box melted in. what is it and what does it do?

Here is the the wire that melted!

anyone has any ideas what caused this, or How to fix this problem?

any help would be appreciated
thanks
Jason

Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Default RE: Help!! Electrical Wiring Fried???

Sounds like it is the starter relay and it was shorted to ground. look around where the relay mounts and look for evidence of a short to ground, a good indication where the short was is trace back the melted wires until they dont look melted and that would be the area i would start at

Old 12-22-2008, 09:49 AM

the black thing that melted is a diode...i dont know what caused it to fry though.

Download the manual from stephygee.com and look at page 18-10 and 18-11

wish i could be more help, but without knowing exactly what you did when you put your tank back on idk....What harness popped open?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 AM

Alright, so the bell part is not supposed to touch any ground? Also the diode, I think it may be fully fried. Am i going to need a new fuse box, because its actually melted right in?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Also does any one know what type of diode it is, and where i could find a replacement?
thanks
Jason

Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 PM

for the fuse block it depends on how bad it is melted, check out painless wiring they make fuse blocks so you maybe able to peace together a new block if needed. as for the diode i dont know what size it is so i cant help there

Old 12-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your electrical problems (I hate electrics). Make sure you disconnect the battery before making any further repairs; lest you fry something else.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:24 PM

thanks, that is some sound advice. I have been doing that from now on. The bike has been sitting for so long i assumed the battery was on its last few strands.

But... i guess it doesn't take that much power to fry a diode. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow (Since our dealer doesn't open on monday for some reason, and see if they can get me a replacement diode.

The box isnt fully fried, just enough to melt the diode in place. So hopefully its able to be extracted. The wires still seem in tact just the outter plastic all melted.

I will see what is feasible at this point
thanks guys! I really appreciate it

Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM

diodes only fry when you try to force current the opposite direction it is supposed to travel..diodes were invented to only allow current to travel one way and apparently you tried to make it go the other way somehow. Your diode is a three prong diode. The two outer pins are the IN's and the one center pin is an OUT..i don't know what you did to make it go the other way[&:]

Old 12-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can also fail if too much current flows the proper direction through them or for no reason at all. In order for it to fail with reverse current flow there would have had to have been enough of a difference of potential (voltage) to cause the PN junction (depletion region when reverse biased) to fail. *IF* that occurs it becomes a short till enough current flows to cause enough damage that it becomes an open circuit.

Quick Reply: Help!! Electrical Wiring Fried???