F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

I accidently left something on, on my bike and killed the battery. I tried to start it a few times after waiting but not enough power

Someone came to boost me, but it sounded like it was trying to start (normal power) but it wouldnt actually turn over to start. after a few tries it did, but it was all clunky feeling the bike. . so i turned it off, and tried to start it again, but battery was dead, so we tried to boost it again. but the fuel pump "buzz" noise when i turn the iginition to ON doesn't happen anymore

anyone know what might have happened? did i blow my fuel pump trying to boost it? or is it a fuse/relay? i get full power to everything on the bike except the fuel pump prime now.

oh ya, i never knew this since i never had to boost my bike (im a new rider) and the car was on when i boosted it. so did i fry my fuel pump or a fuse that starts it? ive also heard theres an anti theft thing on the F4is that prevent fuel pump starting.

how can i trouble shoot my problem?

Last edited by Grafx; 09-06-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 AM
July 2010 ROTM

hopefully u just blew a fuse, but having the car running could have blown the r/r and/or ecu

theres no oem anti-theft on the f4i that i know of

Old 09-06-2010, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by vangill
hopefully u just blew a fuse, but having the car running could have blown the r/r and/or ecu

theres no oem anti-theft on the f4i that i know of
how do i know if the ECU is blown? the bike gets full lights and power like normal. and whats the R/R?

Which fuse/relay powers the pump and how can I check it (location)?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Did you try push starting it? I've encountered that similar problem with different bikes
(08 CBR 600rr, 03 zx6r 636), many times. It's nothing that a push start can't fix. If not, just pull the battery out and charge it. It doesn't take long for a full charge.

Also, if you get pushed and drop it in first, and get it running.. ride it for a bit so the alternator/stator charges your battery up.

Last edited by siCk f 4 i; 09-06-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:55 AM

the battery is charged. its the fuel pump that wont start

my FI light comes on for the 1.2 seconds and then blinks 4 times. but i have no idea what that means, i dont have the manual

Last edited by Grafx; 09-06-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You fried something most likely. You hit a 10 amp electrical system with 80-150 amps. Check all your fuses first. Van, there is an antitheft on the f4i. It is the pink wire on the ignition switch. It is a zener diode and it takes 12 volts from the battery and then feeds like 7or 8 volts back to the ecu. The reason is a standard hotwire of feeding 12 volts to the system wont allow the bike to start because the ecu wont be getting the lower voltage on the pink wire. I would be worried mostly about the ecu being damaged aswell as the regulater/rectifier and possibly stator.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:23 AM

checked all the fuses. everything shows fine. battery seems fine. the FI light is showing me 14 blinks which is no 3 injector fault or shorted out.

so is it possible i shorted out #3 injector from the boost? hence why it started once but was all clunky ?

also, if #3 injector is shorted out, would that prevent fuel pump from priming?

Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be shorted but it wont prevent the pump from priming. More likely the ECU is bad and giving false error codes. you can hot wire the pump to test it.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jonld
It could be shorted but it wont prevent the pump from priming. More likely the ECU is bad and giving false error codes. you can hot wire the pump to test it.

how do i hot wire the pump? and how do i know if the ECU is bad from boosting it?

also, is the fuel pump powered by the relay on the side of the rear cowl? if so, is there a way to check if its busted without a meter? i wont be able to get one until tomorrow so any tricks i can try to check?

Old 09-06-2010, 03:26 PM

I checked all the fuses in the box, all are good. the battery shows good. my headlights, cluster everything is fine.

i have no meter to test out the relay on the side. how do i hot wire the pump to see if its the pump or the fuse or any other trick to test it out?