F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

helmet lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helmet lock

What is the best helmet lock to get for 06 f4i? i park bike on campus and dont want to carry it all day.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 PM

My bike has one under the seat. Its a little clip thing you just put the metal rings from your helmet on it and put the seat back on and bam helmet locked. Im sure its probley not the most secure place but it does work and i havent come out to a missing helmet yet.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:52 AM

^ yep. You have 2 under the seat.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, does that answer your question? Personally, I'd carry the helmet. No because girls would constantly ask or anything...

Old 08-26-2010, 11:11 AM

Personally I think the helmet lock on the F4i's is pretty obsurde. Its a pain in the butt to have to try and have the helmet in the right position to get the seat down, and if you have 2 helmets what a joke. Not only that, it just leaves the possibility to scratch your tail fairing too easily. If you want to leave your stuff on the bike I would suggest something like this:

http://www.boltlockcorp.com/

I have one on order. Think I should like it much better than the stock helmet lock.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM

I use the helmet lock on the bike everyday and haven't had any problems with it scratching the paint. And of course the more you use it the easier it is to use. Theres no way the cable and key method is going to be any faster than the stock lock. Am I the only one that likes the factory lock

Old 08-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the hook provided on the subframe for attaching my helmet...BUT...I was surprised to find that I could actually manipulate my helmet to get it off w/o removing the rear seat first! :O So use it that way at your own risk. Most thieves wouldn't know what to do to get it loose but you never know.

I recommend looking at this thread for more security ideas...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...tic+coat+cable .

I carry a couple of coated cables w/ locks & keep them in my underseat area. When I'm going to be away from the bike for awhile & need to keep the gear w/ the bike, I use a version of the methods above.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 PM

I didn't want to have to take the seat off of my bike everytime to use the rings under the seat so I bought one of these...

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...?Item=GUARDIAN

It mounts right behind your plate (as long as you haven't done a fender eliminator) and most people don't even notice it. The lock on the right side doesn't work as well because of the exhaust but it works great when i'm by myself.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 PM

I also love the factory lock. But thats just me. I use it everytime I go out.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory lock FTW. Unless they cut the straps,,.. there is no way to get the helmet off the bike.

Now if i don't feel like carrying the jacket around....I have a 1/2 inch steel braided cable lock (with that clear rubberized coating) that i'll put through the sleeves and run through the frame and also loop it through the facemask of the helmet. unless someone brings an eletric grinder with them, they'll never get through it.

Quick Reply: helmet lock