F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Group Ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Group Ride

I know I already posted this in another area...

Alright guys, so my first group ride is this Sunday. I've never ridden with a group before, so I am a little nervous as to what to expect. I know I'm not the greatest rider, and I know I'm not the worst rider, but I wanted to get your guys' opinion...is there or what should I do to prepare for my first group ride?

I always bring my camera and backpack with me everywhere I go, so camera and backpack is checked.

Anything I need to do with the bike the night before? I will do a psi check on the front and rear tires, and since I don't have official riding pants or shoes/boots like leather, i always ride with my regular shoes and jeans on, but I was just thinking of putting on my old military knee protectors strapped on to the outside or inside of my jeans just as a precaution.

What do you guys think?

thanks for any input! =]

Old 03-28-2009, 08:41 PM

Rule number one: Don't ride outside your abilities!!!! There was a group ride here today and two riders went down trying to keep up with much faster riders!! You can always catch up with them at the next town, or if their responsible riders they should wait for you bfore they get too far ahead.

Number two: Just do your basic check on your bike ie... tire pressure, oil, coolant, chain tension and lube...

Number three: Ride staggered up to the twisties, but once in the twisties drop back to single file and leave plenty of room to react to any problems that may occur in front of you. AND NEVER pass any one on a corner, only in the straights and preferably on the left.

Number four: Have fun but be safe and keep the shiny side UP!!!

Any on else have any pearls of wisdom???

Old 03-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To add what ID_CBRRider said, I wouldn't just wear regular shoes. I would buy some work type boots (maybe some steal-toe) to have some better protection. Most riders who go down wearing regular shoes, they usually fall off and the rider will sustain some injuries to their ankles and/or feet. Even some Timberland's or similar boots would be better than just shoes/sneakers.

Other than that, always know where you are going (I know it may not make much sense, but just in case you get left behind, you would better be more observant of your safety hazards around you rather than directions to destination while riding).

Sorry, but I am not trying to scare you or make you think too much of it, but I put safety first, but always stay within your comfort zone no matter what.

As always while riding, have fun, be safe and remember to make it back home all in one piece (your bike too).

Tell us about your riding when you get back home.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 PM

Don't mess with pads under your jeans. They aren't made for that use and they're likely to come loose and distract you during a maneuver.

Try to pair up with a more experienced rider before the ride starts and ask if he wouldn't mind riding behind you at least until the first stop. That way you'll know you always have a partner behind you and you won't be as likely to feel rushed to catch the pack. Plus he might have some pointers from watching you ride in front.

Otherwise, keep your head on a swivel and if it looks or feels extremely dangerous, it probably is. When it comes to hand signals, if you can't remember each one, then mock other riders and do what they do.