F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Great Deal or Money Pit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Deal or Money Pit?

just like to say hi this will become the first of many posts if i decide to purchase an F4i. i have found an F4i for sale that has a few minor cracks in the front fairing (either side of headlight) and is missing the complete exhaust system, also soem light rash on teh right side a few quarter sized spots. the bike is for sale at 3400 CDN. i am wondering if this is a fair price for something that needs these repairs. the seller is a garage and for him to install the honda fairing, mirrors and full exhaust he says would bring it up to full price and nothing else is wrong with it. i was going to ziptie stitch he cracks and buy a used header and slipon or mayeb a used full system. how do i asses teh bike with no exhaust i cant really hear any problems with it while running because i cant hear anything. its not leaking anything and the dmagage looks liek its from a really slow lowside or tipover.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Deal or Money Pit?

Try and barter it down some.

Plastic fixes I'd do differently than that, but either way if they are large long cracks with no missing pieces it's easier than small smashed bits.

Exhaust - try and source one from a wrecked bike... if you can source one for cheap you'd be laughing.

Make sure the rest of the damage makes sense, and take a careful look at frame/forks to make sure you're not getting a bad deal.

What does the title say? Normal? Salvage? Totalled? I ask because I've seen people resurrect crashed bikes only to find that they can not get a legal street title for it... not without swapping for a good frame with a clear title.

$3400 in the maritimes wouldn't be bad... in Toronto I'd suspect that would be steep. More people, more bikes. More bikes lower prices. Usually.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:16 PM

How many miles is on it?

Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM

the title is a good point, ill have to ask about that. who woudl i ask about titling a salvaged bike. it is listed as accident damage but i doubt it would be titled as wrecked if all it needs is plastic and exhaust. also it has 15000km on it and thanks for the help.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they claimed insurance on it then it could easily have a salvage or totalled title.

Many people have an accident and buy the bike back from the insurance company.

[It takes very little to total a faired bike ( add up the OEM cost of tank, plastics, controls, exhaust...) Not saying that is what happened here, but always check the title.]

Then they either fix it themselves or sell it when they don't have time. If it was a wrecked bike they might be happy just to sell it... always offer what you think it is worth to you.

Now from the sounds of your post - minor cracks doesn't sound like a massive crash but on the other hand I've low sided and caused very little plastic damage (cracks) but did the forks, triples and exhaust... certainly would have been totalled if I had of claimed it. I rebuilt it and rode it for a few years...

Old 07-25-2006, 05:53 PM

I have a stock exhaust with a small dent in it and alittle rash...works great still looks good. it is only the can not the whole system.If you decide to buy the bike ill sell it to you super cheap. If your interested.