F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Grambo Trick.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grambo Trick.

If having problems with cct i found this lil trick, any1 ever heard of doin this or have done this? does it work?

GRAMBO TRICK:

You just take the little bolt off the top of the tensioner housing.
Then turn the little slotted bolt inside. You can feel one way
(clockwise) retracts it against the spring. Let go and it will spin
back in. The idea is that they sometimes get "stuck", so after it
spins back down, try to turn it a bit more in the CCW direction.
Dunno if it's the plunger itself that sticks, or the chain guide
inside that needs a bit more pressure than the spring allows
to "unstick". Anyway, this is a no-risk process and some members
have said they've gone thousands of noise-free miles after doing
this.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Grambo Trick.

I've thought about doing that before and it sounds like it would work, but now I have my own little trick for fixing the CCT rattle (after you figure out WHY they rattle, lots easier to fix them!)

Old 07-17-2006, 01:55 AM

Well whats your little trick ThirdG

Old 07-17-2006, 02:12 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I don't know if you've ever taken the stock CCT apart, but what it is is a piston with outside threads to the CCT body, with a spring that turns the piston counter-clockwise and pushes it out, but keeps it from being able to be pushed back in. Works for awile, but what happens is the piston gets loose in the threads (probably from the vibrations of the motor and tension of the chain against it), and the piston rattles around in the threads, plus provides less tension on the chain which will make noise too (I could hear mine slapping around). Sooo all you need to do, in the end of the CCT (where you stick the little tool in to turn the CCT) there's a short little bolt that goes in there kinda as a cap. Take that bolt out and replace it with a 6mm (thread) bolt that's longer (6.0mm x 1.00 x 30mm long works perfect) and that puts a little preload onto the piston and not only pushes it out a bit further to tighten the chain up a bit, but keeps the CCT piston from being able to rattle around. In a sense it makes it into more of a manual CCT since once the bolt is in there the piston can no longer extend on it's own cuz it's locked in one place, but it's tight at least. Might have to go in and adjust it every so often just as you would a manual, but it sure beats changing it out everytime, and waaay cheaper. Total parts cost me $1.63 at Home Depot and took about 2 hours to do. Oh yea you also need a lock washer and lock nut put onto the bolt so it doesn't back out. I used a wingnut (cuz that's the only nut they had in the right size... friggin home depot). When you tighten the bolt it doesn't need to be tight tight, just go as far by hand as you can, and then use a wrench and you can kinda feel it pushing the piston a little bit. It doesn't take much so just snug it up nice and easy then tighten the locknut down. Oh yea and put a dab of grease on the end of the bolt before you screw it into the CCT. When you turn the piston clockwise it pulls it back (releases tension), and if you thread the bolt in without lube when it first touches the piston it'll turn it clockwise a little bit and back it off, which you don't want. A little grease on the tip will keep this from happening, and it'll just turn and push the CCT piston out just a bit. I think that's about all there is to it!

Mine was getting pretty bad and I could hear the chain slapping around if I played with the throttle. Did this and it's as smoooooth and quiet as a babys ***. No rattles or bangs or clangs whatsoever!!

Old 07-28-2006, 11:31 AM

ape manaul tensioner. if ur going to take it out ur not gonna wanna try to fix it put it back in and not have it work. just spend 50 bucksand be done with it. very easy to install.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:34 PM

APE CCT was like the second modification I made. I just got tired of hearing it. Precision machines should not sound like that.

I figure I was also paying for piece of mind.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know...the bolt that you turn clockwise inside to retract the cctl? if you turn it counter clockwise, it extends the shaft.
how about turning it counter just a bit and then using the HDR (home depot racing) set up to keep it in place?

otherwise, threading it has the chance of making it retract once the replacement bolt makes contact with the slotted bolt inside.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:32 PM

Hey third, do you have to take the cct out comepletelyin order to do this method, or can you just take the bolt off the end and replace it with the newbolt and nut?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 PM

Be VERY CAREFUL when tightening the "Home Depot" bolt in. I had the CCT which i pulled out of the bike when i replaced with another. I inserted a bolt as stated in quick fix, and continued to tighten. I wanted to see of far i could go, and BAM, the "plunger" and all the other guts exploded out the end. The end which would be INSIDE your motor.

So, moral of the story, DO NOT tighten very far, only enough to apply pressure. There is only a little metal ring holding the assembly together.