F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Got A Little Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got A Little Problem

Ok just returned home from a deployment to Iraq. All i wanted to do was ride my motorcycle. So I tried to crank her up after replacing the battery with a brand new sealed battery. First go round she didn't start. After further review found a blown 30 amp fuse and replaced it. Yeaaaaahhh bike starts right up!!!!! Then I ride for a little while to"charge " the battery ......an hour later I return home and let it idle for like 5 minutes before Shut it down. Go to crank her back up she does not start at all.....my gauge pod does it's lil thing a few times and then when i hit the start button all i get is a clicking noise from the starter area...Now i went over all the little thing like my PCIII connections to make sure it was wired right still and also my fuse box. Now upon further research I think I might have an Alternator problem....or in this case a stator problem. Anyone else have a similar problem ? I would appreciate any advice on this matter I just want to ride after serving my country

Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 PM

Rectifier?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 PM

Ok so this rectifier would make it not start after running or should i choose the stator theory. Just would like to know anything before i go taking this thing apart

Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Charge the battery, get it running, then check the charging system.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:15 PM

ok sounds good anymore advice or theories peeps would still be cool... its raining not about to f&%$ wit electronics in the rain ZAAAAAP!!!! lmao

Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM

New battery should have been charged for around 15 - 18 hours to get a good full charge (check local listings for actual 1st full charge time). Hopefully no damage has been caused to the battery or charging system. As noted above, charge the battery then check the charging system for proper operation.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adding to what everybody else is saying, you should also know your bike does not charge your battery if it's idling. It starts charging the battery over 5k RPM's.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:53 AM

your best bet would be to check if your battery has 9v (i believe) dc with a multimeter, but the shop you bought the battery from should have a charge date (on the battery box) when it was last cycled. if not, you should leave it on a tender for 12-14 hours i think.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 AM

battery tender is your friend...my bike would do the same thing since ive mostly been restoring it. I will start it and let it idle for a while and the battery would die in a couple days so i took the battery tender off of my atv and havent had a problem since....now i just have to get another cable end

Old 10-29-2010, 09:24 AM

To the OP: Did you charge the new battery before you installed it? Bump start the bike and throw a meter on the battery. While running it should show 13+ volts and 14+ at 5k rpms. If it doesn't then you need to start the charging system diagnosis. Good luck and thanks for serving our country.

Originally Posted by 415f4i
your best bet would be to check if your battery has 9v (i believe) dc with a multimeter, but the shop you bought the battery from should have a charge date (on the battery box) when it was last cycled. if not, you should leave it on a tender for 12-14 hours i think.
9 volts? Try 12 volts.

Originally Posted by manny04
adding to what everybody else is saying, you should also know your bike does not charge your battery if it's idling. It starts charging the battery over 5k RPM's.
The bike does charge the battery at idle. Next time your bike is running, throw a meter on the battery and it should be 13+ volts.

Quick Reply: Got A Little Problem