F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Good springs for fat boys!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good springs for fat boys!

Hello everyone I just got my supensionsetup for my weightat a local motorcycle shop and I learned alot today. I don't know alot about bikes so I asked themechanic about 1,000 questions. He said I was lucky to be allive due to my front springs. I weigh about 200lbs. and he said the springs on a stock '02 are for riders that weigh about 150-170 (approxiamately, i don't remember the exact numbers) and he suggested I should buy springs for the front end that would be better for my weight. He also said F4i's stock springs are already soft so it would be a good idea to change them.
So the questions are...
1.) What springs are the best for my weight? (I'm around 190-200 give or take)
They said the springs are $100 and with labor and it's a total of $225. (They recommended .90kg Springs and .95kg springs if I get shocks with it.)
2.) Is $225 too much for the springs and labor?
3.) How hard is it toput on front springs?
After they changed my suspension the bike felt alot better, it was stiffer and felt alot better on the turns. They said I will feel a HUGE difference once I get some springs on it.
btw:
Name:  IMG00235.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  56.9 KB
Got a new seat cowl and helmet! (just wanted to show off)

Old 03-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Default RE: Good springs for fat boys!

.90's or .95's are about right. I am about 190 without gear, and I run Ohlins .90 they cost me $95 online. ( I was 180lbs when I bought them)
I did the work myself, there are tutorials on here if you feel eager and are handy with tools. but if you dont have a garage,
a vise, steering stem stand, torque wrench, and a few other odds and ends, then it would be worth it to pay the dealer another $125 and have it done.

and yes, the new front end feel will be worth every penny.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To say you're lucky to be alive due to poor springs is a bit of an exageration... scores of people road the F3, the F2, the F1... the CB750... the Honda Cub... are we to beleive that they all dodged the bullet?

I'm 220... well probably 200 this season - the front end has been just fine for what I do. You will like the heavy springs but until log some serious miles you won't know why.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was 210 in street clothes and went with 1.00 Racetech springs. I also put on an Ohlins rear with the proper spring. I got valving up front too.

I recently read that the stock valving is decent, but all the suspension gurus I talked to didn't agree.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Once I get my tax return I'll be getting the front springs done (.90). Thanks for the help and the info guys.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:31 PM

Once you get the suspension setup for your weight and the sag set .It will be a 100% different bike..

I run race tech .95kg springs in the front with new honda fluid(original fluid was NASTY at only 6k miles) and race tech 15kg rear spring.Front shocks are ok but the rear one gets a tad soft when its hot (going to a penske soon).

Is your weight with or with out gear,this will make a difference also..Mine is setup for my weight with gear on.
Not a bad price but ask if that includes new fluid to..

On the f4i ,if you have a few basic tools its not hard.No need to even remove the shock from the bike..

Old 03-23-2008, 06:54 PM

Are there certains springs for certain weights and what not? I've been very curious in setting up my bike's suspension properly, especially since I'm considering taking mine to the track this year. I tried researching stuff on suspension, but It's rather confusing to me lol.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM

Interesting.

I'm 220 stripped and I've been using the stock equipment set pretty stiff all around, and I haven't felt particularly deprived... yet.

What have I been missing?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:29 PM

With the right suspension you will notice better tire wear,Better handling and a overall better feeling bike.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 PM

ORIGINAL: white99gt

Once you get the suspension setup for your weight and the sag set .It will be a 100% different bike..

I run race tech .95kg springs in the front with new honda fluid(original fluid was NASTY at only 6k miles) and race tech 15kg rear spring.Front shocks are ok but the rear one gets a tad soft when its hot (going to a penske soon).

Is your weight with or with out gear,this will make a difference also..Mine is setup for my weight with gear on.
Not a bad price but ask if that includes new fluid to..

On the f4i ,if you have a few basic tools its not hard.No need to even remove the shock from the bike..

Right now with no gear on i'm 198lbs. With gear I think i'm about 215-220 (I wear thick jeans, military boots, IconXL jacket, and an L Icon alliance helmet)
When the mechanic set the bike to my weight I was wearing all my gear. The thing i'm scared about is when I wear my backpack to goto school I add about 10-20 pounds.

Quick Reply: Good springs for fat boys!