F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

god this sucks, laid down my bike. got a quick question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default god this sucks, laid down my bike. got a quick question...

man i swear people in this world cant drive. a car pulled out directly in front of me, so i grabbed a hand full of brake and pressed my right foot down as hard as i could, but it was too late. god some pretty good road rash, but i was more worried about my bike.

besides the obvious cosmetic damage, my bike was leaking oil like it was nobody's business. when we picked the bike up it wouldnt start. but after we got it towed home it seemed to start, and less oil was leaking out of it. the guy that towed it said i might have cracked the oil case or something like that, or the block might be cracked. is there any quick way of telling if this damage is going to be costly or not, before stripping her down? i jus want to know if i can look at getting it fixed pretty soon or if i should just call it a day and save for a new one...

man i just got my rash dressed and im already wanting to ride again

Old 10-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where's the oil coming from exactly? When a bike is laid on its side, oil can go everywhere.

Or is the oil level actually going down in the sight glass?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:29 PM

if u laid it down on the left side, u prolly cracked ur stator cover, and oil will spew out for awhile....same thing happened to me, and bike wouldnt start...although if it was leaking oil u wouldnt want to ride it anywhere anyway...

Old 10-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could have possibly come out from the oil filler cap. Or, you may have punctured your oil filter. Or, it could be worse as you mentioned. B/f doing anything else, get the bike inspected for damage & go from there. Hopefully, its something simple like above, but don't chance it.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hard to tell w/o seeing it

Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 PM

I'd pull the lower fairings and figure out where exactly the oil was coming from...before riding it anywhere. As for it not starting right after, probably the bank angle sensor.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:33 AM

Yup, pull the fairings and get her cleaned up and see where the oil is coming from, that should be your first objective. I wouldnt even try to start it until you know where the oil is coming from and you know that everything is ok with the engine.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:41 AM

thanks a lot everyone. once some of this rash clears up and im able to move around more, i guess ill start by pulling the plastics off and finding out where the oil is coming from. i hope its not major cause i still have to replace the headlights, mirror, and front plastics. ahhhh my poor baby... if the bike sits for a couple of weeks while i heal up before taking it apart, will it make it any worse? or should i go ahead and shell out the money and send it to the stealership and see what they say?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:50 AM

nah, whats broken is broken at this point, i dont think sitting is gonna hurt anything. I would pull the battery though. Which mirror do you need? I may have one laying around here somewhere that i can give you....just to get you started.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 AM

Rash? No gear?

Quick Reply: god this sucks, laid down my bike. got a quick question...