F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gloooowww

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 AM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much! Got a lot of compliments on it at today's weekly bike gathering. Definitely grabs some attention, especially when it's strobing down the street, haha.

Pilot16, bring your bike to Milwaukee and some money and let's do it

Old 05-21-2009, 01:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. I like it. I hope the orange is a little more distinct from the white than it appears in the pictures. How'd you wire it up? In terms of like all just running straight to the battery on a switch, or what?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 AM
July 2008 ROTM

The orange is more distinct on the right side - the left side it blends a little more to make like a lighter orange / peach in part of the opening. Still looks cool, though.

It's wired with two switches that power straight from an add-a-circuit off the fuse box. One switch is a normal-on mode in the photo, which lights up 85% of the glow. The second switch turns the strobe controller on. If it is switched on along with the first one, only the additional lights not attached to the normal mode will strobe. If it is switched on by itself, everything strobes (except for the orange in the ram air, because I'm lazy and didn't want to wire more diodes).

Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 PM

how much did this project end up running you? and where did you get the strobe controller? I always thought the LED's and strobe controllers on ebay were overpriced!

Originally Posted by Aken
Oh, I have this one, too. You can see where the superflux LEDs are mounted in the ram air tubes, and the looming surrounding it. Inside the loom, the wires for the LEDs, the ground from the right side fairing, and the wires for the front fairing come together, and the route their way over to the left side fairing.

I always wondered what the air resonator chamber (attached to the ram air tube) was used for. I heard it is just for sound. I ripped mine out to fit my 3.5in speakers! lol. I just bought a new amp with a USB port on it so my ipod will never go dead again. Sometimes when I have a dead ipod, it makes me not want to ride because I'm so used to it.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:33 PM
June 2010 ROTM

so the orange glow in the middle is just one strip? and how did you get the white on the side fairings like that? i gotta know!!

Name:  underglow.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  underglow4.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 05-22-2009, 04:17 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by HELLA
how much did this project end up running you? and where did you get the strobe controller? I always thought the LED's and strobe controllers on ebay were overpriced!
Well I cheated when it comes to cost because I used to work for www.oznium.com so I have a hookup, if you will. But the strobe controller costs about $22 on Ebay, it's a Sho Me 11.1005SF LED Strobe Controller. For all the glow products, it'd be over $175 retail.

The orange glow in the middle of the bike, there is a 9.5" flexible LED strip attached to the gas tank facing down onto the shock. There is also another orange strip mounted to the right fairing that shines into the clutch cover, which minimally helps with some of the middle glow as well.

For the big hole in the side fairing, there is a 9.5" flexible LED strip placed on either side, one on the top that ends up as the "background" color (orange in my case) and shines mostly on the motor. The white is on the bottom and shoots out onto the plastic. Both are 5lb 3M double side taped to the foam in the fairing.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 PM

These ground effect light look more than sick but are you ever bothered by the 5-0 or do you not have them on in transit?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:28 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I've only been on the bike once since they've been done, and I only had them on maybe 1/3 of the time. I doubt I'd get hassled much for them anyway, since they're legal colors, and it helps to be more noticed as a bike at night.

I rocked a similar setup that was blue and green a couple years ago and was only pulled over for it once, and the cop just asked me to turn them off. Cool guy.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:25 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Some better photos with more all-around detail.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:29 PM

Are those touched up at all? The reason I ask is the white in the side vents looks crazy bright