F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Gear and + Chain Mod Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear and + Chain Mod Questions?

Does the speedometer on a 02 F4i read off of the drivetrain, or the wheel. I want to switch my gear ratio to a -1/+2 from the stock ratio, Will I need to buy a speedo healer. Also I would like to convert to a 520 chain, what sort of conversion process do I need to perform?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you will need a speedo healer. As far as the 520 conversion, you need to change the sprockets (both) and chain, thats it. Buy the kit. There is NO advantage to changing from 525 to 520, unless you plan on racing. The difference is the width of the chain. The 520 is slightley smaller, therefore creates less reciprocating mass. Which means it takes a little less effort (from the trans.) to rotate the rear wheel. You'll never notice the difference unless you are racing your bike. It's also not quite as strong as the 525. Thats why most larger bikes ('Busa, ZX-10 ect.) come with a 535 set up. And aluminum sprockets wear out faster than steel ones. (Obviosly cause aluminum is softer than steel)

Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM

I am planning on attending some track days in the near future. Now when you say buy the kit, what does the conversion kit consist of? As far as the speedo healer, what type will I need and where can I get them for fairly cheap.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:55 PM

If you want to buy the 520 kit, it comes with the both sprockets and a chain. You just select what size sprockets you want-as in teeth. although, in reality you wont feel it on the trackday. You wont notice that slight bit of difference until you are running front of the pack A class, and trying to shave off 10ths of a second every lap. but, if you want one, get it, it wont hurt anything except that it wears out quicker.

the last time I looked at speedoheales, there were only 2 types available. yellowbox and speedohealer. basically yellow box sucked, and the speedohealer was what everyone had. 2 yrs ago there was only one place in the US that even had a license to distribute them. that may have changed by now. just type in speedohealer in google and your on your way.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM

i did the exact same thing as you -1/+2 and i read 5/km off.. not a huge deal. i was going to get the kit but just never got around to it, i dont find it to be a huge deal.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:27 PM

Ummm...it reads faster than your going. And it racks up more miles on your bike than you really have. You never really know how fast your going til you get pulled over. Spend the hundred bucks and get the speedohealer. takes about an hour to install. Money worth getting.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 PM

what my brother did instead of spending the 200 or however much a speedoheeler is he just bought a cheap garmin gps and used the mount on his upper triple clamp. the garmin's have a speedo and all kinds of other stuff and you cant get lost

Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stephens
Ummm...it reads faster than your going. And it racks up more miles on your bike than you really have. You never really know how fast your going til you get pulled over. Spend the hundred bucks and get the speedohealer. takes about an hour to install. Money worth getting.
i had no idea it put more miles on your bike, is it a hard install or simple? my bike right now if i'm going 55 for example on my tach im really only going 50.. thats good to know though thanks for the heads up

Old 02-04-2009, 12:28 AM
July 2008 ROTM

-1/+2 gear ratio change, along with factory ~5% error will put your speedometer at a near 15% error. At 60mph you'd only be doing 51mph. That also means you'll be putting 15% more miles on your odometer than actual.

So yeah, the $110 or so for a Speedohealer is very worth it. The only hard part about the install is getting to the plug above the transmission (just behind/under the rear shock). I had to remove the top bolts of my subframe and tilt it down in order to reach mine, but they were also underneath the coolant overflow canister. How hard it will be will depend on where yours are tucked.

Read the manual when you get it, and the above will make a lot more sense. Also read this: http://www.speedohealer.com/your_pic...i/tutorial.htm

Old 02-04-2009, 12:20 PM

http://www.speedohealer.com/your_pic...i/tutorial.htm

Here is how to install it. I took my tank off and propped it up, it helped me get to the sensor. If you have someone there, it helps to have an extra set of hands there.

Someday you might sell your bike, and if it has more miles on it than are actually on it, you probably won't get as much for it.

Quick Reply: Gear and + Chain Mod Questions?